Options

Almost 41 and without hope

I was just wondering about success stories from older mothers. My doctor told me that due to my low AMH, I would probably need IVF to conceive. I am far from being able to afford IVF, and when I called an IVF clinic just to check, they rejected me--unless I was willing to use an egg donor (which I definitely can't afford). I am feeling so depressed and hopeless. I want a baby more than anything and everyone seems to think this will be impossible.

Comments

• Options
    EMG I got pregnant at 42 and had a healthy baby at 43. I did IUI's all the way. I got pregnant basically on my 1st try since I knew the 1st one wasn't go to work. I used no meds, and only a surge protection pee stick. I also did acupuncture to get my body ready for pregnancy and have a healthy 6 month old. He did come 2 months early but is doing well. Hope this helps. A good thing to check out is the Homosexuality community in your area. There is usually a doctor who helps the woman get pregnant and is affordable. I looked both at a IVF type clinic and then found a doctor who does IUI's and helps woman get pregnant. Also see if your insurance will cover it. Some insurances will cover it if you are single. Good luck and feel free to email me off line if you want. anissa_stern@yahoo.com. What state do you live in?
  • Options
    I am trying now. So praying this works....3rd gonadotropin/IUI cycle. I am 45 and was told IVF wasn't even an option due to my low AMH. Apparently IVF has lower potential than IUI at this point since the eggs have to leave the body which reduces viability.

You still have time! Try IUI's! The gonadotropins were way more expensive than I expected, but the process is way more reasonably priced than IVF.
  • Options
    I thought the amh was supposed to be low - under 1.5 is normal? Mine was 1.1, and I think they ideally like it 1.0 or under? Karin
  • Options
    Anyhow, don't give up hope!!!
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the support. I really need it. Anissa, I am so happy that you got your dream. Ebbie, I am hoping things work out for you. Karin, I believe that the higher your AMH, the better your chance of having a successful pregnancy. I just saw another doctor, since my current OB said I would need IVF, and this doctor gave me a little bit of hope. IVF would still be my best option, but he is willing to help me try a few IUIs with injectable medication. It will still be very expensive, but I am hoping to try in June.
  • Options
    emg don't give up.
  • Options
    Yes I remember now! I got it backwards regarding the amh. Good luck emg. I hope it works for you!
  • Options
    Emg, what is your AMH if you are comfortable sharing? I deal with low amh also and it is discouraging but at least you have to try if you can.
  • Options
    Ebbie, my AMH is 0.29. My other numbers are reasonable, but this AMH number is why the doctors are giving me such bleak chances. Apparently, I have plenty of eggs--they are just "old" and no good anymore.
  • Options
    Emg, what is your status now?
  • Options
    EMG, try it! You may be able to get pregnant..I conceived later than you, but miscarried.
  • Options
    have you looked into medical tourism? a ticket may cost you a bit but the over all costs might still end up less providing you have time to set aside for traveling...

i did my fertility treatments in thailand (bangkok). in thailand you get EXCELLENT health care, often at a fraction of the price of many western countries.

former eastern europe might also work. a friend of mine went to riga and had an IVF w a donor egg. like me she's almost 40 and her doc told her that her egg quality wasn't good enough. she got pregnant at her first attempt (and if that happens to you too, you'll save time and money on not having to re-do the same process over and over again)

do some research and good luck!
  • Options
    a) Have you checked with your health insurance provider? Sometimes IUI's are covered - although they don't always advertise this...mine are...

b) I was 39 years old when I conceived naturally. I'm trying again at 43 - IUI's with donor sperm but not donor egg.

c) There are clinics who will take many women at least up until age 44 AND using their own egg. Have you tried looking at other clinics?
  • Options
    EMG- don't give up, I was in the same boat, high FSH, low AMH. RE said chance of take home baby less than 5%. After 1 IUI and 3 IVFs I'm pregnant at 15 wks with a healthy baby boy. I just turned 42.
  • Options
    Im 40 just got pregnant with a egg donor. I have two frozen embryos for a small price if interested . I'm still paying for treatment . It is very expensive to get a egg donor. I have a beautiful baby boy! Two months ! Single mommy!
  • Options
    dont give up-i got pregnant at 41. I had to go IVF route- I had to take a loan from credit union. My son is now 2 1/2. Keep trying.
  • Options
    Pregnant at 43 took 6 IUI's but now have a beautiful 5 month old (5 weeks early). I also took shots and drank the pregnancy tea.
  • Options
    Hello all,

How many IUI's should a person do before going to IVF? I'm so stunned to hear about those of us over 40 trying more than 3 IUI cycles.

What I heard was that we shouldn't waste time with IUI over the age of 40? If 3 IUI's don't work, then go with IVF. Or maybe even if 1 or 2 don't work?

J:
  • Options
    The general rule of thumb is 6 IUIs. I got pregnant on my 5th.
  • Options
    I'm 48 after 2 unsuccessful IVF attempts with frozen egg donors, my doctor convinced me that fresh donor eggs will work. My transfer will be Monday using sperm donor 13036 & my fingers & toes are crossed.I'm going to have 2 embryos transferred & supposedly with fresh eggs the success rate is high. Wish me luck everyone, don't have time on my side!! But I should hopefully still have embryos left to freeze for at least one more try. Has anyone had any success with donor eggs?? What about donor 13036??
  • Options
    I'm 48 after 2 unsuccessful IVF attempts with frozen egg donors, my doctor convinced me that fresh donor eggs will work. My transfer will be Monday using sperm donor 13036 & my fingers & toes are crossed.I'm going to have 2 embryos transferred & supposedly with fresh eggs the success rate is high. Wish me luck everyone, don't have time on my side!! But I should hopefully still have embryos left to freeze for at least one more try. Has anyone had any success with donor eggs?? What about donor 13036??
  • Options
    I got pregnant on my third IUI at 41. I'm 6 1/2 months pregnant and will be 42 when I deliver. Single mom.
  • Options
    Congrats! I hope to follow in your footsteps. :)
  • Options

Hi ladies, this is my first time posting, so here it goes. I am 40. My AMH level is .42 which is not good. Dr. said 5% chance w/IUI and medicine. 15-20% chance w/IVF Invocell. My insurance covers nothing. Any advice on how to start? Should I try IUI or just skip to IVF? Starting in August.

• Options

My AMH level was a .61 at age 34, I believe. My other numbers looked good, but the AMH was shockingly low for my age. I got pregnant on my second medicated IUI (50mg Clomid + Ovidrel injection). I consulted with a reproductive endocrinologist who advised it was reasonable to pursue IUI. She also advised that if I needed IUI, I may very well need more than one round to extract more usable eggs to create healthy embryos. I was lucky IUI worked out for me. My son will be 9 months old this week.