Options

First IUI today!!!

Hello my wife and I have had our first IUI this morning. We are sooo excited, scared and hopeful all rolled up into one. The waiting is going to be so difficult! We would really appreciate all of the well wishes and prayers that we can get right now. Good luck everyone!

Comments

• Options
    Wishing you the best of luck - and hang in there during the TWW :) Keep us posted and praying you get a BFP!

Tara
  • Options
    good luck!! we will be trying for our second child in the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Good luck to you! The waiting is killing me!!!!
  • Options
    My wife and I will pray with you! Pray for us too - we're going to try for the first time in about 14 days :)
  • Options
    We had our first IUI imsemination yesterday. Hopefully it takes. By reading posts in this Forum the last couple of months I know how long the TWW can feel, so we've planned a bunch of social things to help take our minds off of it. It will probably still feel like waiting a 100 days instead of 14!
  • Options
    Hello, We just had our first IUI last thursday (4 days ago)and it does seem like forever!!! My wifey cant wait to find out and neither can I. We are hopeful and excited!
  • Options
    We just had our first IUI today and I'm already obsessing! I can't believe how many 1st IUI threads are on this board, and yet so often it seems like people don't come back to post what the news was. I hope you guys come back and update us! We will do the same. Hope to get some good news from you all!! Sending you well wishes.
  • Options
    Well - our first go round was unsuccessful. However, on the upside, we will be trying again in about one week. Will keep everyone posted. Good luck everyone!! :) Wishing lots of baby dust upon you all.
  • Options
    hey try this if you wish

Can taking cough syrup help me conceive?

Expert Answers
    Toni Weschler, fertility educator
    While there's not a lot of medical research to support this idea, anecdotal evidence suggests that it can help. But there are a few caveats, too. One ingredient in certain cough syrups — guaifenesin — can help you get pregnant by thinning your cervical fluid, which enables sperm to travel through your cervix and fertilize an egg. If you know from taking your temperature every morning that you're ovulating, but you don't seem to be producing much wet, slippery, cervical fluid, guaifenesin might be all the help you need to get pregnant. This is the paradox, though: You need to know when you're approaching ovulation to take advantage of this recommendation, and the only way to know that is by checking your cervical fluid. So guaifenesin works best on women who do produce at least some cervical fluid.

How does it work? Guaifenesin, a common ingredient in cough syrups, is an "expectorant." That is, it relieves congestion by helping liquefy mucus in your lungs, allowing you to cough it up. And because it works systemically on all mucous membranes in your body, it can make your cervical fluid wetter, too.

The trick is to find a cough syrup in which guaifenesin is the only active ingredient, so check labels carefully. Many cough and cold medicines contain antihistamines that also work systemically in your body but have the reverse effect: They dry up mucus and diminish wet cervical fluid. And while you're trying to get pregnant, there's no reason to expose yourself to any other drugs unnecessarily, so find a product that contains only guaifenesin and no other active ingredients, including dextromethorphan (a cough suppressant) and alcohol. Humibid LA — the pill form of guaifenesin, available by prescription — is a safe choice. Ask your healthcare provider to prescribe it for you.

If you're taking the liquid form of guaifenesin, take 2 teaspoons three times a day around the time of month you're expecting to ovulate. If you're taking the pill form (Humibid LA), take it as prescribed for a cold. Either way, I would encourage you to take it from the first day you notice any type of wetness through the day of your temperature shift. That may be about a week. (Editor's note: If you're not yet charting your basal body temperature, click here for more information on how to do it.)

Guaifenesin may even work for women who've had abnormal cervical cells frozen off or who've had a cone biopsy — the removal of a cone-shaped wedge of the cervix to treat lesions that may be precancerous. This procedure destroys some of the cervical crypts that produce fluid. If this is what's behind your low production of cervical fluid, taking guaifenesin might help you produce enough wet, slippery fluid through the remaining cervical crypts to help you get pregnant.

Member Comments

You can avoid cough syrup altogether by just purchasing Mucinex. It's in tablet form, and is 100% Guaifenesin. It helps to drink lots of water with this medication as well. Enjoy!
    posted 4/23/2008 by docrocky

Was this answer helpful?
    81 out of 82 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!
    It worked for me! I had six cycles of BFN and my first cycle with the robi, I got pregnant!
    posted 2/28/2008 by ~Joanne~

Was this answer helpful?
    57 out of 61 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!
    Robitussin (without any letters after it) fits the description. You can also buy generic as long as the only active ingredient is guaifensin. Good luck to everyone!!! You should also try to drink plenty of water.
    posted 4/22/2008 by sharonjason

Was this answer helpful?
    52 out of 52 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!
    After trying for 7 months with no luck, I finally took about 4 tsps. of "expectorant" about 2-3 hours before 'trying' and I got pregnant that month! I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but if I have trouble again in the future, I will definitely give it a try again!
    posted 7/15/2008 by Anonymous

Was this answer helpful?
    24 out of 26 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!
    It worked for me too! I had five cycles of BFN and my first cycle with Mucinex, I got pregnant! I think if timing is good with ovulation and this, it improves your odds.
    posted 9/14/2008 by blue_rain2401

Was this answer helpful?
    22 out of 23 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!
    I stop taking my pills in March 2008, first two months I did not get pregnant. When it was around my time for ovulation in May I took 2 mucinex pills and I am now 16weeks pregnant. I decided to try it because I had abnormal cells frozen and wondered if it could help. I seen this article on here and thought it couldn't help but it did! Just try it and who knows it could help.
    posted 8/29/2008 by Luckymom2be

Was this answer helpful?
    19 out of 20 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!
    while it may not work for everyone, it does actually help!!
    posted 2/24/2008 by subie girl

Was this answer helpful?
    24 out of 31 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!
    My husband heard about this trick and we tried it in February and I am 5 weeks pregnant now, so I am a believer. Good luck girls
    posted 3/25/2009 by Anonymous

Was this answer helpful?
    14 out of 14 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!
    I bought Mucinex regular strength, 12-hour extended release and took one every 12 hours during the 5 days before, during and after ovulation. This medication contains 600 mg. Guaifenesin and nothing else. I took one every 12 hours: one after dinner and one after breakfast. Our first cycle trying this and I am now almost 5 weeks pregnant. Keep in mind we were only trying for three months, but something worked! Believing in this may be due to confirmation bias, but I’m happy with whatever works.
    posted 3/25/2009 by LittlesPod

Was this answer helpful?
    12 out of 12 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!
    Ok so we are newlyweds and have an 11 yr old daughter. We are bound and determined to have another baby that is due in 09. So we are trying the Mucinex this month. According to the calendar I should take it on the 5th - the 12th! Wish us luck as a baby is long overdue for us!
    posted 10/02/2008 by Anonymous

Was this answer helpful?
    8 out of 8 found this answer helpful
    Thank you!

Don't see the answer you were looking for?
    Ask a new question for BabyCenter's Community.

IMPORTANT: As noted in our Terms of Use, the information found on BabyCenter, including that provided by experts in the "Get Answers" area, is a general educational aid. Do not rely on this information as a substitute for personal medical or healthcare advice, or for diagnosis or treatment purposes. Always consult your physician or other qualified healthcare provider as soon as possible about any medical or health-related question, and don't wait for a response from our experts before such consultation. The "Get Answers" area also contains opinions and views created by community members. BabyCenter is not responsible for the accuracy of any information posted by community members.
  • Options
    baby67890:enough of all that