Options

Single Mothers of Twins

Ladies I'm getting nervous. I am finally in sync with my body. I can tell when I ovulate and used one of the predictor kits and I was right on time. I was so lost before reading this board and other resources.

I won't have the HSG and IUI and clomid until July and already purchased the donor sperm. I've thought about this process ever since I broke up with my fiancé over 5 years ago. Then I learned I have PCOS so I never got preggers but I'm sort of glad I didn't. He has and wanted more kids and was very fertile. I had no clue to what was going on in my body until it was suggested I see an RE and was told about PCOS.

My RE's nurse told me I have all the factors of twins, overweight, will take clomid, over 35 and my ethnicity.

Truth is I would love to have twins healthy ones of course. I make decent money for me and one child, but as I look at daycare cost I'm getting nervous about the cost of twins. I have family that will help out but I'm used to doing things on my own now.

I'd like some insight from single moms that have twins. How do you handle the daycare issues? Diapers, feeding? I plan to breastfeed

Time for self, taking off work when they are ill? Giving each equal time?

Yes, I'm looking at daycares/older women already. I'm pretty proactive with things and am cautious, yet I know I can't control what happens and can only plan. Twins would be ideal for me, but not for my pockets. I know God will provide.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    GiftsofJoy,

Speaking from only outsider experience with twins (my aunt had two girls that I was a nanny for, for two years), my aunt was a stay-at-home, which doesn't really work for us gals, but I also nannied for her during the summers, while she ran around and built up her business. As for feeding, she breastfed as well, and fed both girls at the same time, one on each breast - later when I nannied, it was expressed milk, feeding one at a time, since it was just me. Diapers were changed one right after the other - there's really no other way to do it without someone's help.

The funny thing is, we are all compelled to be mothers - that is why we are here. When you have those babies, you'll just know what to do when each situation presents itself. You'll know when you should take off work, and when it's just the sniffles and send them to daycare. As a single mother, you're not going to have much alone time. It kinda bites, but I'm willing to give alone time and weekends with friends to be a mother.

You'll know what do to, if it turns out you're going to have twins. I know this may not be much help to you since I didn't experience everything first hand, but I thought I'd put my two-cents worth in.

God bless!

AH
  • Options
    OH! Also, I learned a TON from the "What to Expect The First Year", written by the same author of "What to Expect When You're Expecting". They answer tons of questions, including those concerning previous disorders, diseases, etc. and pregnancy. I just read them both over the past couple of weeks and learned so much, including information on twins (which did have a section on breastfeeding twins).

I swear, that's it - I'm all written out. LOL

AH
  • Options
    I'm a single mom of twins (they were born March 1st). They are currently at daycare, and while it was a little harder to find a place I could afford, I was able to get a one. It is even a licensed one, which was really important to me. We are doing great, though the first 6 weeks were super hard. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
  • Options
    Hi,

I don't have twins, but I have PCOS and I had my daughter at 35. I thought I'd chime in with something that I wish I'd known ahead of time.

Btw-When I was pregnant with my daughter and I had my first ultrasound I was profoundly disappointed that I wasn't having twins. After she was born I was glad there was only one!LOL!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that since you plan to breastfeed if it looks like you are going to have to have a c-section you may want to start using a breast pump beforehand. I had a c-section and my doctor told me later that women who have a c-section...their milk doesn't come in right away. I didn't know this at the time and my daughter spent her first day hungry which still makes my heart hurt. With the busyness and recovery issues I never had enough time to devote to pumping and getting my milk to come in so I didn't get to breastfeed my daughter. I would think if you were to be blessed with twins you might find it overwhelming too.

I just thought I'd mention it. You sound like a planner(I'm one too!) and I know that the more info you have the better. Also, while I was pregnant I read TONS of stuff on pregnancy and the birthing process and when I had my daughter I knew what I wanted and how I wanted things handled. I told my care givers exactly what I did and didn't want done to my daughter when she was born. My cousin didn't know anything when she went in and she wishes she had.

Hope you find something helpful in my seriously-way-too-long post!XD Good luck!