Options

Why do some CCB donors have low Motility?

I've been reading post from women saying that some of their semen vials have been way lower then what CCB guarantees. I want to use CCB. However, I will be doing at home insemination. How will I know I am not getting low grade semen? I don't have money to throw away. I know CCB doesn't refund unless the client is using a doctor. Which I think isn't fair. Can anyone tell me if they have done at home insems with pregnancies.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Winter –

I’m not sure if you are familiar with our extensive donor screening process, but you may want to check out our short video. Less than 1% of applicants are chosen to be CCB donors and specimen quality is one of the eliminating factors. In general, CCB donors’ sperm quality is in the top 15-20% of the male population.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NurCUuZaa1c

Please be assured that we have tight quality control measures in place to ensure that each donation meets our rigorous standards. Part of this process includes a post-thaw analysis of the specimen.

There are several factors that can cause a physician’s lab to report different numbers than our lab. Our specimen is frozen, thawed, and evaluated in a very specific way, and so the supplied thawing instructions need to be followed. Any deviations from the instructions (thawing time, temperature, inadequate mixing, and even the type of counting chamber used) can significantly impact the final outcome of thawed specimen. For example, our quoted numbers are with a warmed Makler , not with a disposable slide. Labs that use disposable slides can expect a lower count in general because of the chamber size. Sperm thrive at body temperature, and if the counting chamber is not warmed, there can be a great deal of difference in the count. If the sample showed a low post-thaw motility because the counting chamber was not warm enough, inseminating it into the body allows the sperm to “wake up” (higher motility). Please also note that some clients reporting "substandard vials", have actually gotten pregnant from those vials.

We have clients that have been successful with at-home inseminations, but in general they offer a lower rate of success. The timing of an insemination is extremely important and a physician can use ultrasound technology to monitor your follicles and determine the best time to perform an IUI. We recommend at least consulting with a physician to make sure that there are no issues preventing a pregnancy from occurring and to discuss cost and treatment options. In the long run, going the at-home route can end up costing more in drugs, sperm, and shipping.

Best of luck,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all the information. I really appreciate it so much. I do plan to make certain all in good before I start doing or having IUI preformed. I've been to two different fertility clinics. I've even had some test done. They have checked a few things. So far all is ok. I am 40 years old. I know my age may play a factor in me getting pregnant. This is why I plan to have more testing before trying to get pregnant.