Options

African American

Which are good African American donors? I need help trying to decide.

Comments

• Options
    there are not many to choose from. in my case he had to also be cmv negative. i chose 11255, but someone bought lots of vials and he is now retired-but i think you could call to confirm. he doesn't have any pics
  • Options
    i have a beautiful son from 11356!
  • Options
    I used 11356 and miscarried, but will be trying again next month via IVF. Glad to hear someone succeeded with this donor! He seems like a good guy.
  • Options
    I also used 11695 several times (seemed to resemble my husband the most), but never got pregnant, so I switched. However, he has produced pregnancies, according to his profile, so maybe we just weren't a good mix?
  • Options
    CSS, I'm sorry about your miscarriage, I also used 11695 prior to 11356....but that was for IUI and I got pregnant via IVF, so it's a different ballgame... the doc did tell me that the count was lower than the guarantee on the vial of 11695 so I actually got reimbursed for it. Won't matter so much for IVF, though! Best wishes to all of you. My son is just wonderful so obviously I'd recommend 11356. He has a nice, mellow personality and is very handsome.
  • Options
    Thanks, az242. That was actually the first of two miscarriages, plus countless IUIs (both medicated and unmedicated), and I'm now 41, so it's been a long, hard road. I didn't end up doing IVF last month, but rather, a medicated IUI with 11356 and it didn't work out.

At this point, due to money constraints, I may just try a few more natural cycle IUIs. Seems like you can produce all the eggs in the world (I had 4-5 last time), but it's still as much a gamble as ever, so why spend the extra moulah? Having said that, it might be time to suck it up, take out a medical loan, and go for IVF. I'm taking a month off and mulling it all over.

--CSS
  • Options
    Btw, congratulations on your beautiful son!
  • Options
    CSS-- So sorry to hear you have had those experiences. I also had 2 miscarriages waaaay in the past, not w/ donor. I know how hard it is to come up with/fork over all that money for IVF! However, I'm glad I did it because it ended up being the answer, where even IUI is not totally cheap and it adds up after several cycles...and the stress adds up when you have to keep putting the meds in your body and going for all those procedures. I am 38, btw, so well into the world of "advanced maternal age". I wish you well with your decisions and hope you have a child as wonderful as my son.
  • Options
    Thanks, again. I'm doing an unmedicated IUI (budget's too tight for anything else right now, plus those meds really messed with my cycle last time) later this month with "our" donor, so wish me luck!

--CSS