Options

Has anyone tried right away with IVF ?

I am 41.5 yrs old and contemplating going straight to IVF. What are your thoughts on that?

Comments

• Options
    I have not gone straight to IVF, as I am 28 and did have success with an unmedicated IUI to conceive my daughter, but if I were your age I wouldn't waste a second and would go straight to IVF. Where I live fertility treatment is covered in full by insurance, until the woman reaches the age of 42. After that, nothing is covered. So that gives you an idea of what the statistics say. If you can afford it, I would go for it, and I would do PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis) as well. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for your input and I agree. I am fortunate to have very good insurance which will cover 3 ivf's each year, so I figure, why waste time. By the way, what is PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis)my MD did a bunch of blood tests, some were genetic, like for CF and others...is this what you are talking about?

Do you have any children yet from this process?
  • Options
    Sorry, I reread your response and see you are blessed with a little girl. Congrats! What state do you live in?
  • Options
    I live in Massachusetts. PGD is testing that is done once your eggs are fertilized and become embryos. A single cell is removed from the embryo and the chromosomes are counted. This is more important with age, as problems like Trisomies 18 and 21 (21 is Down syndrome) become more prevalent. I don't know how much PGD costs, but I do know that some insurance companies don't cover it, even if they do cover IVF. Good luck to you!