Options

Timing my IUI, what would you do??

Hello everyone...We are new to CCB and our TTC adventure. I have been tracking my OV since May. It has taken me until this month to really get it. My cycles have been somewhat predictable. Tell me if this is normal? I have alternating cycle lengths every other month 25, 28, 25, 28 and so on. We decided we would do what is normal and get our smiley face then IUI 24 hrs later and then at home insem 12 after that (in case the 1st time got us PG the uterus contracting with the second IUI would not terminate the PG). Soooo yesterday my OPK was negative @ 5am then @ 9am we got our smiley face. When I woke up this am at 6 my BBT was 97.18 (the same as the past 5 days). Went back to sleep and it was 97.6 @ 8:45 then 97.58 @ 10 (my normal for luteal phase). So my question is doesn't it seem like I got my surge between 5-9am and then OV between 6-10 the following day. Also, last night @ 9 I started having bad lower left side pain that was still there @ 6am, but now is completely gone. It seemed that I OV'd within 28 hrs. If I insem 24 hrs and then 12 hrs later...the 12 hr would be a waste. Would you just insem 1x or do maybe 18 hrs then 25 hrs????? Any advise would be great.

Stacy & Crystal

Comments

• Options
    Hi there. We have 2 children and are ttc#3. Dont forget that The sperm lives in there for a few days and so you dont want to wait too long so that your eggie misses the spermies! I have not been regular and so have made the mistake this time around of waiting until I get the happy face and then overnighting the tank which is 24 hours later. Obviously I have not had success in the 2 months weve been trying this time. I wouldnt suggest you wait for 24hours after the smiley face, we never did before and got preggo on the first try! I would suggest that if you are able to order it early to have it there with you, that you do the insemination like 8-12 hours after the smiley and then again about 12 hours later. The spermies will then hang out and wait for the egg. Dont wait too long its not worth the risk especially givin the price increase of this process!
    GL and Babydust to ya'll!
  • Options
    I asked the cryobank staff how long frozen sperm lasts in the body and they said a maximum of 24 hours. (See recent post in "ask staff" discussion board.) So timing is even more important for us than for people using fresh sperm.

It seems like conceiving is an art rather than a science, and that all doctors have different protocols. But, for what it's worth, my RE said there are 2 options:

1) wait for ovulation monitor (we use the little machine that you insert the pee sticks in to) to turn positive and then do IUI the next morning, or

2) give hCG trigger shot at night and then do IUI approximately 40 hours later.

My partner and I just did our first IUI yesterday and we followed #2. Wish us luck!

And good luck to both of you and your partners! So glad there are other LGBTQ people TTC.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advise, I appreciate it. I am using the same monitor and I think we are going to try the peak and then insem the next am. I am kindof sad though because we were ready to go the 1st week in Sept. and now my GYN is out of the office the day after I would be surging (aka IUI day). So now we are left to decide if we should try it at home or wait another month for her to do it??? Good luck to you cjbrandt on your tww, I hope you nailed it on your 1st try!! KUP.
  • Options
    Thanks for the well wishes! I'll keep you posted...

My Dr was on vacation the week of our IUI, which was disappointing, but we decided we didn't want to wait another month to start so the other Dr in her practice did the insemination. Does your GYN work with another Dr?
  • Options
    She has 3 others in her office, but will you believe that none of them do it. Next month though everything should be perect for her to do it (if my body does what it has been doing). So we are going to try on our own this month and then have her do it next round and hopefully that will be it (fingers crossed).