Options

Sperm count and motility

Hello,

We just had our first IUI inseminagion with donor 14466 today and the doctor said the sperm count was 41 and mortality was 61%. Are these good numbers?

Thanks!

Laura

Comments

• Options
    Hi L -

Congrats on your first insemination! Fingers crossed that you have some good news to report soon.

I'm guessing that you mean 61% motility? They sound like great numbers. I'm not sure of the exact lab report but if the volume was .5 mL, I'm assuming the total motile count was about 12.5 million.

Research studies show that only 5 million total motile sperm are needed to maximize pregnancy outcomes for IUIs with donor sperm (some recent studies show even less). Looks like you had more than enough!

Best of luck!

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks! Glad to hear they are good numbers. I did mean motility, stupid autocorrect :).

I'm curious, how does 41 milllion turn into 12.5 million?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi C -

To calculate the total motile sperm, you multiply the concentration, volume, and motility. I'm assuming 41 million was the concentration and .5mL was the volume, which is standard volume for our IUI vials. Like I mentioned, I'm not sure of the exact lab report, so I'm just guessing on the concentration and volume based on the info that you provided.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Regarding Doner 14466

Hi, I am just doing research on this doner, would like to use him, and would like to know if you could share your story if you did ici,iui,ivf and how many time before you got pregnant ?
  • Options
    Hi DLP,

He had good counts and mobility every time we used him. We had 3 IUIs that weren't successful and then we moved to IVF and we were successful the first time. It unfortunately ended in a miscarriage though in week 8 due to chromosome problems that we believe are maternal. We are trying again in July.

Keep in touch throughout your process! I haven't been able to find anyone using this donor except for one other woman but I know he has more than 5 pregnancies but no births yet.

Best of luck!

Chicago3 and Kpj812
  • Options
    Hi All -

I'm happy to announce that we do have a reported birth from Donor 14466.

While we can't provide specific details on pregnancies or births, we encourage you to join our free Sibling Registry. It's a private community where you can interact, read, and share info with others that have reported a pregnancy and feel comfortable sharing.

https://cryobank.com/services/sibling-registry/

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options

Cryo-admin,
    Any new updates on births. Can you tell us how many births there are for donor 14466?