Options

AMH Test

My RE suggested I take an AMH (anti-mullerian hormone) test before moving forward (after many IUIs and one early miscarriage). The technology is relatively new in the U.S.--although it's been around in Europe for some time--so I just wondered if anyone else had heard of it or experienced the test?

Here's some more info for the curious:

http://www.pregnancy.org/article/count-eggs-new-test-predict-future-fertility

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/105148.php

--CSS

Comments

• Options
    I did the simple AMH blood test before I even thought about pregnancy. I'm almost 40 and did the test about 6 months ago. Mine was 1.5 which seems to be decent. Although the test can give you an idea about the eggs you have left it doesn't attest to the quality. I'm glad I did.
  • Options
    Thanks. The thing is I already know that--being 40--I have a "diminished ovarian reserve" and since the test won't tell me anything about the quality, what's the point? I'll mull it over...

--CSS
  • Options
    It was nice to know there was still some hope, for me anyway.
  • Options
    I wish I didn't do it. I am also 40 and based on the AMH my RE told me the odds of me concieving were exceedingly slim, even though everything else is great. I am going to have my third IUI next week, and the 'bad' news of the AMH test whispers in my head. I wish I didn't have that negative vibe floating around. I think it is important to know that our tubes and uterus are good to go, but like I told my RE "I'm not going to let some lab determine if I keep trying."
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks, LSmsw. That does help. I haven't done the test, but I've reached the same conclusion. I already know that--technically speaking--my chances are slim and I don't need test results (other than tubes and uterus, which I already did and was good to go) to make me depressed about it. Having said that, I urge you to press on and not to dwell on the AMH test. Lots of women 40 and over get pregnant and we can too!

--CSS
  • Options
    Please don't let the age thing discourage you. I think it is to easy and often convenient for doctors and others to blame it on your age if you don't conceive quickly. But if you read the boards here, you will see that so many women of ALL ages have a difficult time conceiving over multiple insemination attempts. I think it may come down to perfect timing more than we all realize. I became pregnant on my very first insemination back in January and am now 25 weeks pregnant with a little girl. All of my check-ups and tests (I had amnio) have indicated that she is perfectly healthy. I have had an incredibly uneventful and easy pregnancy with no nausea, sickness or other adverse affects. By the way, I did go on Clomid 50 mg for my insemination. I also underwent some more standard tests, such as an HSG, to make sure everything was in working order (I actually had to have a minor surgery to remove an endometrial polyp---that was just one month before my insemination) But I barely thought of my age as I underwent this process. I guess I was lucky to have an RE who barely mentioned it (after having had her first child at age 46 on her first attempt.) Good luck to everybody, and feel free to ask me any questions about my experience.
  • Options
    I forgot to say that I was 40 + 6 months when I did my one, successful insemination and am now 41.
  • Options
    congrats TraceD! I agree. Don't let a number or lab test get you discouraged. It's best to maintain a positive attitude as much as possible. My first IUI didn't work and I turn 40 in a month but I'm going to keep trying. Nothing's definite till menopause.
  • Options
    I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and thoughts. I am 40 and really feeling blue over 3 failed iui's. Taking a break this month to get it together. It helps to read other stories. Congreats TraceD
  • Options
    Glad the thread is helpful, MDB.

And thanks (and congrats!), TraceD. That's inspiring.

--CSS