Options

RE or ob/gyn?

I am brand new to this and I have a zillion questions. Is it better to start with a reproductive endocrinologist first or a ob/gyn?

I kinda feel my ob/gyn might not approve and I really don't want any negativity right now (negativity related to my age). I slightly hinted at 40 I was thinking about children and she didn't seem very happy, so I'm sure she won't be now.:( I am 42 and I've never had a child but I have wanted one for a long time and I know that I need to get things rolling.

My DH is super supportive. He wants this as much as I do, which I'm so grateful for.
Just wondering where is the best place to start.

Thanks,
Gracie

Comments

• Options
    Hello...I got a referral from my OB to see the RE, but if you don't need a referral, I'd go straight to the RE.

Good luck!
  • Options
    thanks...I called an RE and she was sooooo helpful and easy to talk to. Thanks again for the help.
  • Options
    I went to one visit with the OB, and felt it was a waist of time. I made an appt to see the RE and a year and nine months later I' finally pregnant (6wks) with my first baby.
  • Options
    At our age... and I'm four years older than you... we NEED to see a RE. I'm fortunate that my OB and my Primary are both women in my age group... they haven't discouraged me from having my own child(ren) and my OB recommended the RE that I now have.
  • Options
    Congrats Smaciegracie...that is wonderful news!

aultigger...my gyn/ob was chosen by me, 'cause I was seeing a male gyn. and he had a "look down your nose" attitude (haha no pun intended)
    However, I might be prejudging my gyn. without giving her a chance....I guess I'm a little sensitive to telling anybody right now, since people can be very critical. The last visit when I was 40, the nurse practitioner practically scared me to death with her statistics, and I didnt even tell the NP that I was thinking about babies then, and my last visit I just didn't mention it, 'cause I didn't want to hear it.

Thanks so much for your comments
  • Options
    The right doctor will not judge you...they will supportive and try to help you reach your dream!
  • Options
    Thanks Stargazer7 and Congrats Misscherryblue!!! I guess we will both be due around the same time.