Options

Having my first iui this week. What to expect, emotionally?

Hi all,

I am 42yo and will be undergoing my first iui this week. I am not sure what to do or expect during or after the procedure. What were your experiences?
Were you emotional during or after? how did you support yourself after? Did you celebrate? What was your interaction like with doctors and staff after. Not at all sure what to expect of myself.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Shatay,

I've had 3 IUIs (the last one in April 2015)... the 2WW can be sheer torture. The best advice I can give is to stay positive, find something to occupy your mind and time (something that puts you in a happy place) and stay off the forums and boards! I'm serious. It can get obsessive and it adds to stress (in my opinion). If you can, share your journey with a close friend for personal support - online friends are great, but there's nothing like someone in-person you can talk to.

My IUIs were all positive experiences. Nothing terrible or bad happened. There was no pain. I did have some cramping after 3rd one (or maybe it was the 2nd) but it went away. All were BFN and like you, maternal age is an issue for me so with each negative I started thinking about my biological clock. (I will be 39 in a few days.) My numbers are all great - as of May 2015 my FSH is 7.3, AMH 2.15 and my AFCs range between 13-20. My sister just got pregnant with her 3rd (she's a year younger than me) so things seem to look good for me... BUT that's also why the BFNs were so disappointing. My mindset however is that I'm not out and that's the mentality you have to adopt if it doesn't happen right away.

After my BFN in April, I decided to try acupuncture (which I love now), a fertility diet and more exercise before starting again in early September. I've never felt better honestly! Looking back, though I was relatively healthy and in good shape, I wasn't at the optimal health for egg production and my stress level was too high. Things have been way better these past few months for me so this waiting period has not been in vain. It's been a healthy journey for me and will hopefully make the difference in TTC.

I love my doctors! I go to Diamond Institute for Fertility in Millburn, NJ. Dr. O and Dr. Yemini are wonderfully supportive, down to earth and funny. I recommend them! They do a lot of monitoring, cover all bases diagnostically (to make sure all is clear) and welcome answering your questions.

Best wishes to you and stay positive!
  • Options
    HopeCE,

Thank you for such a warm and positive response. I have tried acupuncture and will do so again. I appreciate the encouragement. Good luck and prayers to you!
  • Options
    Hello ladies.

I agree with HopeCE. You have to stay positive. It's so hard especially after your first cycle and you get a BFN. Keep trying for as long as you can handle it emotionally and then pause if you need to. My first two times were done with only the trigger shot for assistance. My third time I started Clomid and the trigger shot and progesterone post IUI. Still didn't work. I decided one more try and then I may need a break. I felt the first 3 tries I was preparing myself for it not to work. I did the Clomid, etc again the 4th round also. This try I kept thinking positive thoughts only. Took some time off work to relax around implantation time and occupied my mind with reading and writing. It helped to relax me. I even bought a few gifts for baby. I found out this week… I'm pregnant. Just over 4 weeks. Still early, but I'm thrilled.

Good luck to you both. Lots of baby dust!! :)