Options

How long to wait after LH Surge detected?

My partner and I need your help... We are trying the at home insemination this weekend. And my ClearBlue monitor detected my Lh surge today at 9:30 am. I've read the threads and I have seen so many different anwers on this subject.. 12hrs to 24 hrs to 48 hrs... So we were wondering whether we should inseminate tonight.. Or tomorrow morning.. Or tomorrow morning and tomorrow night. We have only 2 ICIs. Is 12 to 14 hrs to inseminate too soon after the Lh surge tested postive? Or should we just do it tomorrow morning ?.. Within 24hrs? Please help us decide. I can't really tell whether I'm ovulating.. I'm terrible at reading my body's signals.

Comments

• Options
    Here's what I've read...

After 24 hours BUT before 48 hours... it seems that you get your surge usually 24 hours before you COULD ovulate... it's not in stone. I just had my second IUI on the 17th. On the first one, I had it BEFORE I had been into my surge for 24 hours and it resulted in a BFN. Since you're doing a ICI I don't know about how long the sperm last... heard that frozen boys have a maximum potent life of 24 hours...

I can't tell you what to do but I went with the 24 hours after (I think we were at 36). Since you can try twice, how about waiting to about 20 hours and then again at about 36? I also read that most RE's doing IUI's tend to want to have it done around the 36th hour...

Hey, girlfriends... they need our help... give 'em some!!
  • Options
    Hey there - I think UAL has it right. I have read lots of different bits of info on this topic but it all seems to point to inseminating after the first 24 hours of an LH surge. Most women ovulate 40-42 hours after the LH surge and you want the sperm waiting for the egg to make her appearance so it is important to time it so you are inseminating prior to ovulation. Also those frozen boys only live about 24 hours (no matter what) so your timing is definitely important. If you are taking two shots at it though then I would do the first around 24 hours and the second maybe 12 hours plus. If you have been tracking your cycle then you might have a better idea of when you tend to ovulate (ie number of hours after LH surge is detected that you ovulate). Google this all on line for various medical and non medical opinions as well. You are unique so all these averages are just that and do not really apply to you as an individual. Don't forget to keep your hips up, dont' use a speculum and for god's sake have some fun and have an orgasm - it is supposed to help - (I believe this is nature's way of building in a win win proposition for you) GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Options
    to clarify - the first around 24 hours the second 12 or more hours later around 36-40 hours into your LH surge but sooner if you know when you are likely to ovulate. An IUI would be done timed for around 40 hours. Oh and this is JMO and NOT based on my personal experience - just gleaned from my spending too much time on the internet researching what to do. we have not started trying yet and are going straight to IUI. This is the fine print where I disclaim any real knowledge of any of this. :)
  • Options
    Ladies... this has been so helpful. Thank you so much for passing on your knowledge and experience with us. All signs point to doing the insemination 24 hrs. then we've decided to do it 36 to 40 hrs tomorrow evening. We will definitely be a lot less rushed doing this in the evening then trying to do the 2nd insemination on a Monday morning. We have had 5 unsuccessful IUI in '08, and we are hoping that doing it at home would feel so much more natural. I am so excited. I will definitely write a post on whether it turns out positive.
    Have you joined the CCB Friends on Facebook? If not, you should.
    Please keep adding on more info. I am sure this helps many ladies figure this stuff out.
  • Options
    How'd things go today, girlfriends?
  • Options
    HI Miss Dayene - let us know how things went! I will hold good thoughts for a successful effort! R
  • Options
    :( didn't work out that time. I am on my second attempt. TWW we will know sometime next week. I am trying to see this more like a process instead of stressing over it. I know it will happen for me.

rhenry7715 - you had written not to use a speculum. Our Aug. attempt we didn't use one, but we found that it was air tight and it was hard to push down the plunger. Our Sept. attempt we used the speculum, and it was helpful allowing some space in there and also finding the opening of the uterus. It kinda freaked me out though, when we pulled it out; I was worried that we had pulled some sperm out with it. You never know.
    So, how did you manage?

We were also disappointed that we couldn't get every single drop of that tiny vial into the syringe. The semen bubbled on top inside the syringe, once we pulled most of it up. I wonder if that bubbling part still has good sperm or it's just wasted. And once you try to insert all of it in, I still saw some in the catheter.

You've read that the frozen sperms only live 24 hrs once inserted, that is so disappointing. I had read somewhere that it was more like 2-3 days, instead of 7 days for the fresh sperm. :(

I was reading a post from the forum saying that at home insemination only have a 4% success rate ... yikes!

So if I were to count, it's been 5 IUI last 2 were with meds with a clinic and now it's our 2nd ICI at home all natural, but with a different donor.

lots of baby dust for me please :)