Options

quanity in a vial

Pardon my ignorance- but how much is a vial (i.e. milliliters,etc) I was amazed this morning when I saw the tiny amount in the vial but the nurse said there were 14.8 million sperm in there and they were all A swimmers! She was impressed!

Comments

• Options
    I think it varies. My first day's IUI, the doctor knew I was scared. He had his back turned to me and was reading the lab report stapled on the bagged thawed vial that he brought down from the lab. He goes, "you KNOW...we ASK for a MINIMUM of 5 million sperm....you have 45 million." and gave me a thumbs up :D The second day's IUI vial had 25 million LOL
    And to think just one of that 70 million was the champ swimmer! :D

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    I haven't started the process, but I've wondered the same thing. my doctor says i only need one vial, but then im like, what if it doesnt work? is there so much in there that we can use it again? that was a joke, but really i've never even seen the vial. interesting how much something so little can cost excpet once we have our babies, that little vial means a wonderful healthy baby
  • Options
    Wow DC808! 45 million in one vial- holy smokes!
    Do you mind me asking who your donor is? My doctor said they like it to be at least 10 million for frozen sperm so they were super happy with my 14.8 but 45 million! wow...
  • Options
    If you are planning an IVF procedure, one vial may be enough to create multiple embryos for multiple cycles.

However, if you are doing IUI, I highly recommend purchasing extra vials. We even offer free storage programs called Family Today or Family Tomorrow. This message board is filled with people who are desperate for vials of their sold-out donor either because they didn't get pregnant right away or they decide to have a second child. Remember, on average it takes 4 IUI attempts per successful pregnancy -- and that is if you are under 35.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB