Options

To Insure or not to insure

This is my first time posting, so hello to everyone! My question is this. I just became a stay at home mommy with my 4 year old, so I currently don't have any insurance. My fiance, Tracie and I discussed that I would get my own insurance before I concieve, so the baby would be covered, and since most fertility treatments aren't covered anyway, we would self-pay for all of that. Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get insurance now for diagnostic test, blood work, ect. thinking this might save some money somewhere. Opinions would be greatly appreciated! Also, for those who might pay for your own insurance, what companies would you use? I reside in North Carolina.

Thanks, Lynsey and Tracie

Comments

• Options
    Lynsey & Tracie,

My health insurance has been a HUGE help with covering costs. I am lucky in that they also paid for several of my IUIs. Even if your insurance does not cover the IUI, most still cover the diagnostic work up, lab work, sonograms, and consults which all get really expensive.

I guess my advice to you is to check with your provider and see what kind of expense you would have, then weigh that amount against the cost of self-pay insurance. I have no idea how much that is, but I think it's pretty expensive...

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that most people don't get pregnant on their 1st attempt. Can you afford the cost of the insemination, lab work, sonograms, and consultation fees more than once or twice?

I am sure you have priced the donor specimens and know that that are very high as well.

Good luck to you! I hope you are one of the lucky ones that get your BFP quickly!!
    Kimberly
  • Options
    Thank you for answering Kim!

I don't see myself being able to afford multiple IUI's out of pocket. Some insurance companies act like if you are considering fertility treatments, you have the black plague or something. I will check with my provider to see what cost will accrue, and go from there...

...sigh...

-Lynsey & Tracie
  • Options
    Like Kimberly- my/my wife's insurance has been a God send. While they don't cover the IUI's, they do cover the doctors visits and labs, which are expensive- at least based upon the bills that I've seen before they filed.

If you decide not to get insurance, make sure to ask about a self payer discount. I've seen hospitals and doctors offices knock off up to 50% of the bill off for a self payer.

As an aside, have you checked to see if your fiance's job offers domestic partner benefits? Most larger companies do now- and while your fiance will have to pay taxes on the value of the benefit, it can often still be less expensive than a personal policy.