Options

Sharing the scoop my RE gave me on elevated FSH

Ladies,
Thank you for all of your support and sharing regarding my posts and FSH.

Here's what my RE told me...
When the FSH elevates, it's a signal that the number of viable eggs/follicles is decreasing or in my case...my eggs that are left are 43 yrs old and hard of hearing so the FSH increases so they will get the signal to do their thing. It's the bodies way of letting us know that time is of the essence. It elevation is sometimes necessary in order to send the signal to the eggs/follicles so hormonally one or more are selected to mature towards ovulation.

He said it's not good to try and decrease the FSH because it's a tool. Decreasing it isn't going to change what is going on. Trying to lower it may impede it's level increasing mechanism to communicate to the eggs/follicles to get ready to mature for ovulation.

If you have heard otherwise, please share. However, I just wanted to share this bit of medical advice incase it helps those who may be trying to lower their FSH and in return not allowing the levels to do what they are supposed to.
-Wendy

Comments

• Options
    I was told that the higher your FSH number the harder your body has to work for the eggs to mature... the more stress on your body, the less chance that you ovulate...
  • Options
    Also the harder your body has to work, the fewer follicles mature in time to be of a proper size to fertilize... at least that's what I've heard and read.
  • Options
    ualtigger,
    It's so confusing to get different info from different Dr.'s.
    Mine basically said that it's not the FSH that prevents ovulation but instead the levels raise in response to what it takes to get the "signal" to the follicles/eggs. He said it's a nice mechanism we have been designed with and at least the FSH level increases in order to get the follicles/eggs to react to the hormone and mature.

I found this on the internet:
    The brain senses that there is a low estrogen environment - and signals the pituitary to make more FSH hormone. More FSH is released from the pituitary in an attempt to stimulate the ovaries to produce a good follicle and estrogen hormone.
    Think of it like stepping on the gas pedal in the car to get going. The FSH is the gas, and the pituitary gland releases FSH to get a follicle "going" at the beginning of every menstrual cycle. If there are less follicles left (and perhaps lower quality follicles) the amount of "gas" has to be increased to get a follicle developing.

Hope this helps anyone who's confused about FSH like I was.

Your thoughts?
  • Options
    Hmm... sounds like the best thing to do is raise your estrogen... which I know decreases as we get older... perhaps that's why the FSH goes up??
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

I just found out today that I have a FSH level of 16 plus a slow thyroid. My RE has now put me on meds to increase my thyroid and also has put me on Yaz birth control for one month. Does this sound right?

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?