Options

How many times?

Hi! I am new to the site. I will get my first IUI in March. I am 35 (soon to be 36). I know everybody is different, but how many tries before you became pregnant?

Comments

• Options
    I am 40 but I have very high healthy hormonal levels,,,I am on cycle 2 now, using Clomid and DS,,,after two tries of doing everything by the book,(using fertility monitor, taking med to increase cervical muscus, taking uterine toning meds, getting hormone levels tested, paying 600 bucks for sperm to be delivered and inseminating exactly 12 hours after ovulation...if it doesnt work this time I think it would be best to spend the extra money having a doctor do a IUI and not throw cash at sperm banks,,,esp. in this economy...btw ,,,I tried 2x before when I was 32 with no success,,,but my reproductive system and hormones were so good, I was able to donate eggs for infertile couples,,,go figure,,,I sometimes wonder do sperm banks intentionally hold back the potent stuff until they have made a pretty penny,,,I remember it was the Sperm Bank of California back then,,and they insisted no matter what it,,, would at least take 4-5 tries,,,I though hmmm thats weird ,,,they gaureenteed it would not work first three imes,,,(not the odds)needless to say,,I didnt think of using them at 40,,,right now I am hoping this cryobank is better...good luck,,,
  • Options
    OOps,,,I meant inseminating 12 hours after lut ovulation hormones were present...Which means I inseminated...12 to 24 hours before ovulation.
  • Options
    I used another bank and donor for the first 4 IUI cycles and decided to switch to CCB and just found out on Sunday that I am pregnant, on my first try from my donor at CCB.
  • Options
    Hi slcoyle...What donor did you use?:)
  • Options
    The sperm bank I am using also said 4-5 times for IUI before its successful, but my doctor had more optimistic results. He thought 2-3 times, but would not string me along before he started doing more test. I think I am jusy nervous that I ill be disappointed.
  • Options
    Ky's Mom- I used donor 11659.
  • Options
    TY slcoyle...I think I will give him a try if the donor I have,(3591) doesnt work this cycle...fingers still crossed...Day 5 after insemination now...a few more days...whew...sometimes I think,,,very nerve wrecking, but I found a way to think of it as ,,,wow,,,it's sort of fun trying isnt it...never know whats going to happen this month...lol...I would laugh more and stress less though if I werent 40...umph.
  • Options
    OH...can;t use that donor, because I definitely don't want an open donor...Congratulations on your pregnancy though...very happy for your success!!...PLease send baby dust:)
  • Options
    We tried four IUIs on my natural cycle and one IVF with our first donor, then took a year off. We started back with unmedicated IUI again and got pregnant on the first try. We will be starting to try again for #2 in just a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Oh, I should say that when I got pregnant, it was our first try with a new CCB donor, different from the previous IUIs and IVF; though the first donor was with CCB too. He had many pregnancies listed on the Donor Sibling Registry, so I don't know why it didn't work for me. Just not meant to be.
  • Options
    samsmom,

I did not use a donor from this site, but I got pregnant on my first try. I did an IUI. I am 35 years old and will be 36 in June and I am 14 weeks pregnant.
  • Options
    MistyandCarla,

Wow! That's encouraging. I am using a donor from another site also. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • Options
    MistyandCarla- I'm doing my first IUI next month- did you do anything to prepare???
  • Options
    At age 42 I got pregnant the first time with IUI, miscarried, got pregnant the first try again. I'm not trying for #2 two years later - am on second try and awaiting results.
  • Options
    Hello
    I'm 34. All tests showed 'normal' healthy eggs, ovulation etc. 3 natural IUIs later, nothing but picking a new donor :(
    Its so different for everybody, all I can say is remember what they told me at my doctor's office: "it's a marathon, not a race". Which is something i always tell myself especially because I had such hope that it would be within the first 3 tries being that I was so healthy and normal. Here's hoping # 4 and a new donor will do the trick. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks Cat for the encouraging words. I mispoke earlier-said frist try was in March- it is actually this month as I should surge Friday or Saturday for my first IUI. I am tring to stay hopeful and positive. Wishing you much success!
  • Options
    It took me 5 tries for both of my pregnancies. I was 23 when I got pregnant with our first daughter using clomid 100mg, ultrasounds, blood work, and trigger shot. With our second daughter I was 25 when I got pregnant using Bravelle 150IU injectable, ultrasounds, blood work, and trigger shot. I used a RE for both my pregnancies to conceive. We used the same CCB donor for both our daughters. I am now on a new journey towards becoming a gestational surrogate for a gay couple! Our tentative transfer is between May 11-15th!!!
  • Options
    Hang in there samsmom. How did your IUI go? Are you in 2WW?

Cryme....you are an angel to give hope to gay couples and to spread your success. How selfless, this is inspirational!

Good luck to you both!
  • Options
    Cat, Yes I am on day 6 of the 2WW! Trying to stay positive while balancing potential disappointment. The IUI went well, some spotting a little cramping. Not as bad as I thought. It's all the waiting- with the period tracking , LH surge, 2WW. Grr! I hope it worked!
  • Options
    Yay! Keeping fingers crossed! Please let me know! :)
  • Options
    Good luck! Only a week to go!! Keep me posted. :)
  • Options
    Cat, Will definately keep you posted. I might do a HPT on Tuesday to check. Have you picked a new donor yet?
  • Options
    Hi Everyone!I took a HPT on Wednesday and got a faint positive. Took a digital this morning and got a pregnant. Extra excited! First IUI! Will schedule an appointment to get a Dr. confirmation. Yay!
  • Options
    Hoping for my first IUI this month... my cycle is on the short side (only 26 days) and my day three FSH was 12.8. Have you guys any ideas how to lower it? I am thinking of using false unicorn root to help... ideas??
  • Options
    Just found out my first IUI didn't work. I had already ovulated before being inseminated, so the timing might have been off. I must ovulate very close to surging. I found out I was BFN on 5/1, 12 days pIUI, and luckily I already started my period today. On to round 2. It's impossible to grasp ahead of time what an emotional roller coaster it's going to be. Hoping my next tww is not as agonizing as the first. I'm going to go back to yoga and find other ways to stay relaxed throughout this process.

One question, have you all been able to work with an RE, or are some of you only seeing the nurses. I just found out I wouldn't get a consultation with the Dr. until the third cycle. I guess she only meets with IVF patients. Is that normal? I'm paying top dollar for each IUI round, so I was expecting to get the benefit of working with a doctor. I'm not saying the nurses aren't good, and I realize the IUI is a fairly simple procedure, but I was surprised. I've taken all the diagnostic tests, and they only give me the results if I ask. I've been educating myself on the internet and only now do I even know what questions to ask. Kind of frustrating, but if I switch clinics now it may cost more and I may lose time. I'll just have to see how the next round goes.

Best wishes to all of you!
  • Options
    I have tried 4 times and had to take a break. I am now trying to find a different donor. This times I am being put on shots only. I will also try a new donor. Here goes the search again.
    I have been told all is fine, It just isn't taking.