Options

Donors information

Hi Scott,

I am trying to decide a donor I want to use if my recent IUI fails, since the donor I am using is sold out recently. Now I have 5 candidates: 03751, 11048, 05272, 05626 and 11432.

Would you please let me know the number of pregnancy reports for these donors?

Thanks a lot!

Dan

Comments

• Options
    Hi Dan -

I say this over and over, but please do not look at pregnancy reports as a criteria for selecting a donor. All CCB donors are extensively screened and possess outstanding quality sperm (motility, shape, and count). They would not make it into our program otherwise. We have never had a donor that did not eventually recieve a reported pregnancy. It just sometimes takes up to a year since many clients report the actual birth of the baby.

3751 - Less than 5 reported pregnancies
    11048 - Less than 5 reported pregnancies
    5272 - More than 5 reported pregnancies
    5626 - Less than 5 reported pregnancies
    11432 - No reported pregnancies

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that about the donors sperm quality Scott, it is reassuring to know that you have never had a donor that did not eventually receive a reported pregnancy. = )I have a question for you: Does CCB guarantee a motility percentage for the donor? I am researching frozen vs. fresh sperm and I know of course some sperm don't make it once they are thawed. Our counts were 14.5 million with 37% motility and 14.8 million with 38% motility.I've heard some people say that motility should be at least 50%. The original sample had 67 million- so much in a little vial!
  • Options
    Thanks, Scott.

I totally understand what you said. I guess that I am just very desperate for getting it work for me, after I had very low sperm count with my first IUI.

Thanks again.

Dan
  • Options
    Hi Ladybug -

CCB guarantees a total motile sperm count. Assuming your vials are IUI you are well over the mark.

In general, a 50% motility is considered a good target and well above average. Remember that all counts can vary up to 20% based on lab techniques, the tech counting, etc. High 30s are certainly within the normal range to expect for good motility. The really important number is how many total swimmers you have, not what percentage of good swimmers.

The biggest difference between fresh and frozen sperm is the amount of time the sperm survive after insemination. Frozen lasts in the 24 hour range, while fresh can last up to 72 hours. Basically, you have a wider window of opprotunity with fresh because they have more time to find the egg.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Good luck Dan!
  • Options
    Thank you for your response Scott. Our doctor instructed us to order the ICI vials but they washed them for my IUIs this week. I'm glad to hear that the motility was normal for frozen sperm. Let's hope one of those little guys is a winner!
  • Options
    My fingers are officially crossed! Keep us posted.

Scott
    CCB