Options

IUI procedure

I am just wondering from the single ladies on here who is performing your actual IUI procedure? I am a little confused to why I am only seeing nurses in the "infertility center" my insurances says they cover.

Comments

• Options
    In my doctor's practice, I have only seen doctors for all of my procedures and tests. The nurses have just taken weight, blood pressure, etc. This is the only one I've gone to though, so I don't know if this is standard.
  • Options
    At my dr's practice the nurses do most exams, ultra sounds etc but the dr did the IUI procedure. I've also only had 1 so not sure what is standard.
  • Options
    Thank for the info. I am currently in the 2ww for my 3rd IUI. Just really not sure of what to think of the center I am going to.
  • Options
    I had everything done at my regular OB/GYN's office. The nurse practioner did most of my IUIs. My dr did 1 or 2. I know the nurse practioner did the scan and IUI that finally worked. My mom about died when Kelli, the nurse practioner, came to see me in the hospital and I introduced her to my mom as "this is the lady who knocked me up", but we had a great relationship and joked about that a lot, so Kelli thought it was hilarious.

I saw the dr for all my pregnancy visits though. I really liked them both, so I had no issues seeing either one. I think it depends on the practice. I could have insisted on seeing the dr, but I usually asked to be scheduled with Kelli because she was more on schedule than him.

But, if you feel uncomfortable, ask to see a dr or try to find another clinic that will be covered. I have definitely learned to trust my insticts in this process. You don't want to spend all your money and waste time and then have major regrets. I insisted I wanted to be as aggressive as possible on my last 2 IUIs and I wanted injectibles, so dr gave them to me. It worked both times (miscarriage the first time). Had I not done that and never gotten pregnant, I would have always wondered if I really did everything possible.

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    I have for the most part seen the MA's, RN's, a PA and US techs. The MD did the IUI and an US here and there, but it was his support staff who did the majority.
  • Options
    Nisdem, I go to an RE's office and for the most part I see the nurses on a regular basis. The doctor is the one I met with when I started my journey and chose which tests to have done and which bloodwork to have drawn. If the tests were normal and bloodwork fine he said he would meet with me again after 3 failed IUI's. It ended up my bloodwork wasn't normal so I had to meet with him several times to go over bloodwork results and options for meds. So I ended up meeting with him several times before I got started.

Once all the tests, bloodwork, and meds were figured out I was told to call on the first day of my period. Because I'm on meds I need to go for a baseline u/s to check for cysts. The u/s tech does the u/s and I meet with one of the nurses to go over it. If there are no cysts they will go over my meds and set up u/s appointments. I go in starting on day 8 for bloodwork and u/s monitoring which is done by the u/s tech and again I meet with a nurse afterwards. Every afternoon the nurses, u/s techs, and bloodwork lab techs meet with the doctors in the group and they all discuss the u/s and bloodwork results. The doctors then make the decision of what to do next....increase/decrease med dosage, stay the same, do trigger shot, etc. Whatever decision they come up with the nurses will then call in the afternoon to tell me what to do. So mostly I meet with the nurses but the doctors are the ones making the decisions. I really like the way they do it. I'd rather meet with the nurses because they are easier to talk to and seem to know just as much as the doctors.

I have only had one IUI so far and it was done by the director of the program (who is a nurse). I was happy she was the one to do it because she is the one who I've talked to the most over the past year and I know she knows what she is doing. She is also more personable than the doctors. I got pregnant on that first try but ended up having a miscarriage. I believe the doctors do the procedure at times especially if it is done on a weekend or holiday.

I hope that helps!
  • Options
    today my IUI was done by my PA, that I really like!