Options

How did you choose?

I'm in the beginning stages of the IUI process and have been researching donors. In was wondering what other ladies are/were looking for in a donor, to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

For me, ethnicity is important to me, as I'm Russian and would like for the donor to be the same. I also looked for a clean medical history and evidence of high intelligence. And a donor with coloring and features that are similar to my family, so the children won't look completely out of place.

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Comments

• Options
    Hi emmynova,

I looked at similar things, but also height and weight. I wanted someone tall to give my child the opportunity to have some height. He's also super-skinny... trying to balance out some of the genes it will get from my family!

I am completely athletically incompetent, so I looked for someone who at least mentioned some athletic ability.

Other than that, features similar to my own - light brown hair, blue eyes, fair skin...

Good luck!
  • Options
    I looked at CMV status as well as ICI vials first. From there, I looked at medical history, eye color, hair color, height and race. I also looked at number of report pregnancies. I honestly...had no interest in the essays and such. I did look at baby photos but really people can lie about that so that was not that important to me either. I felt the same way about the essays...people could write what they thought you wanted to hear.
  • Options
    I started by narrowing it down by ici vials, then height over 6'0 and by my blood type, medium skin since my hubby is tan naturally, and wavy or curly hair since we both have wavy hair. after i found a couple i then checked to see if they had prior pregnancies, and what celebrities they resembled..(closest to my hubby.)
    and the last make or break thing was medical history..very important to us.

just had my first iui..now in the 2ww :)
  • Options
    My #1 concern was health. I have asthma and I wanted to make sure that I did not add to in any way.

2nd concern was schooling. My husband wanted someone who had a masters degree or above.

3rd was looks.
  • Options
    I've been researching donors for a few months now and am having a difficult time choosing. I've really narrowed my choices by wanting an Open Donor so my child will have more info available when they turn 18. Also height, similar in coloring - brown hair, light eyes, intelligence and clean medical history are important.

There aren't a lot of donors who are open. Wondering if open is as important for all of you? Any insight is appreciated.
  • Options
    itstime,

I didn't choose mine based on the fact that he's an open donor, but I love the fact that he is. On his audio interview, they asked why he did that and he said that if HE were the kid, he would want the option when he got older. I thought that was very thoughtful and sweet.

I also chose similar features (light brown hair, blue eyes), clean medical history, but threw in height so my kid would have the chance to be tall.

Good luck and baby dust!