Options

drugs to conceive

I read in conversations here that certain drugs are commonly used to help with conception. My doctor has not mentioned anything. He performed a bunch of tests, found a fibroid and a cyst, but he said everything is fine and ready to go. What is up with the drugs? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Drugs are used according to your situation. I used an injectable (Menopur) drug because of my age (I'm 41) and FSH of 11.7.

If he didn't offer drugs to you, then he probably thinks you're chances of conceiving without them are high but it doesn't hurt to ask about your options.
  • Options
    If you have no fertility issues, most doctors want you to try unmedicated first. I had to go on meds (femara and a booster shot of hcg) because I don't ovulate on my own. I have very regular cycles, but don't ovulate. I also have PCOS. So, really it depends on your situation. You can ask your doctor about it though. The more information you have the better.
  • Options
    My doc suggested doing a "natural" cycle first, which i just completed unsuccessfully. I just turned 40 so am considering going with Clomid, but despite being considerably more expensive, they told me it meant a higher chance of having twins. The thought of twins as a single mom is pretty overwhelming. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • Options
    RenK03-

I just had that talk with my RE. I have had 4 unsuccessful unmedicated IUIs, and he (and I) think it is time to move on to drugs. I told him that my greatest concern was multiples.

He said that at my age (35), the likelihood of multiples is low. If I drop 3 eggs, I am more likely to end up with 1 or no embryos, as opposed to 2 or 3, which would be more likely if I were in my early 20s. He thinks it is more about quality than quantity. But I still worry because I have almost every other risk factor for twins already...

In the end, I took his advice and am starting Clomid on my next cycle.
  • Options
    EEH,

Thank you so much. That is really helpful to hear. I think I am leaning towards taking the Clomid. Even though it may be risking multiples and so much more expensive, I think it will be better than losing more time with unmedicated cycles at my age. I think i will wait till just after the holidays. Good luck with your next cycle!@!

I really appreciate your comments.

Karen
  • Options
    I did 3 cycles of Clomid. Each month I only had one mature follicle. I've just had my 2nd IUI 3 days ago using injectables. I had two really good sized follicles this month. In my case, Clomid was useless b/c I don't think it increased the number of follicles at all. I was nervous about multiples at first too but came to the conclusion that I'd rather have two than none at all.

Good luck!
  • Options
    RenK03-
    Glad it helped!

Kaylababy-
    Good luck on the 2ww!

Sending positive thoughts, ladies!!
  • Options
    RenK03
    A 5 day supply of Clomid costs only $9.00 at Target. Can't beat that!
  • Options
    Are you joking???!! Wow. That is great to know since the procedure itself is around $1300 (with a discount).

It's hard to weigh all the factors: another unmedicated round which i can only imagine is easier on my body, cheaper, and less likely to create twins. Or the time factor of using another cycle (tick tock) and finances on an unmedicated cycle.

I keep going back and forth, but in this moment I am leaning toward one more unmedicated cycle then bring on the drugs.

It is great to have a place to ask these kinds of questions and hear what others are experiencing. Thank you all for your comments.

Wishing you all the best!
  • Options
    $1300!!!! Whoa baby! Is that for an IUI? That is expensive. My Dr charges $150 per IUI if you're paying out of pocket which I am. But the insurance company only gets $350 per IUI.

If you need to go on to Clomid, definitely call Target's pharmacy. I called all around and they were by far the cheapest. At my age, 41, the Clomid didn't increase the number of mature follicles I had each month. I only had one good one on Clomid. I've had 2 good follicles each month on the injectables. I'm in the TTW now and can test on 1/4. FIngers crossed!

Good Luck everyone!
  • Options
    $1300!!!! Whoa baby! Is that for an IUI? That is expensive. My Dr charges $150 per IUI if you're paying out of pocket which I am. But the insurance company only gets $350 per IUI.

If you need to go on to Clomid, definitely call Target's pharmacy. I called all around and they were by far the cheapest. At my age, 41, the Clomid didn't increase the number of mature follicles I had each month. I only had one good one on Clomid. I've had 2 good follicles each month on the injectables. I'm in the TTW now and can test on 1/4. FIngers crossed!

Good Luck everyone!