Options

Questions about getting started...need help!

I am hoping to start with first iui in about 6 months. Have been looking for a donor and have it pretty much narrowed down. Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on things I should be doing now. i.e. when to see an RE, any tests that I should have before purchasing vials, etc. I would hate to purchase and then find out later that I can't get pregnant. I would appreciate any help!!

Comments

• Options
    I would start now, if I were you. Six months gives you time to meet with the doctor, take all relevant tests, such as HSG, blood tests, etc. My blood tests included my blood type and CMV status, both of these were helpful in determining whether I needed to rule out certain donors. Also, starting now will give you time to chart your cycle with OPKs. I found out in the first four months or so, exactly when I ovulate and how regular it was, etc. etc. The doctor even gave me a test to ensure that I was ovulating. He wanted to make sure (even though the OPKs indicated LH surges). The tests, such as HSG can help determine if you need any additional procedures done, if there is a problem. I guess my point is, the sooner you start the process, the sooner you will know whether there is a problem. You don't want to get to the six month mark and be surprised. and if you need any type of surgery (like I did), you have recovery time. Also, if any of it is not covered by insurance, then that gives you time to save money.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the info! It is definitely helpful! One other question, how do I go about finding out what is covered by my insurance? I'm not even sure what questions to ask if I called them. I'm assuming I would need to find an RE that is in my network, but from there I am kinda lost.
  • Options
    Hi Latham22, you're welcome. My employer has an insurance representative employed on staff. I called her up and told her that I was being referred to an RE because I want to get pregnant, but that the doctor wasn't sure if I would have fertility problems because of my age and fibroids. I was required to obtain a referral for my RE by my insurance company. I explained that I needed tests done to find out if I have problems and then because I am single, I would need IUI. The representative told me that my insurance will cover any diagnostic procedures, tests, blood work. But they would not cover anything dealing with the actual insemination itself, not even the medication. So, I knew what I was dealing with. If you don't have an insurance representative on staff at your with your employer, call the insurance company and tell them your situation, what you're looking to do and they will let you know what's covered!!! Ask if you need a referral to visit an RE, ask if they cover diagnostic testing, ask if they cover fertility medication, ask if they cover the insemination or ivf procedure, including any ultrasounds or monitoring during the procedure. I think that would be a good start.