Options

New and have questions

I am hoping to start with first iui in about 6 months. Have been looking for a donor and have it pretty much narrowed down. Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on things I should be doing now. i.e. when to see an RE, any tests that I should have before purchasing vials, etc. I would hate to purchase and then find out later that I can't get pregnant. I would appreciate any help!!

Comments

• Options
    HI Latham22, I posted an answer to this on the same sex couples board. Also, I forgot to mention that I actually did have problems and needed surgery. So, in actuality my first IUI try is six months after the first visit to my RE. That is why I'm a proponent of starting now.
  • Options
    Latham22,

I am also a single mom to be (hopefully) and I am 40. I saw the RE and had a bunch of bldwork done the same day, had an u/s that day and then had a hsg about 2 weeks later, then got started right away with my next cycle. It really depends on your age as to how much rush there will be. I would suggest getting the appt made and taking it from there. I didn't purchase the donor specs until I saw the RE.

Hope this helps. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Jen
  • Options
    Here's a little advice I wish I would have known before making my donor purchase. My doctor suggested I purchase 5-6 vials at one time so that's what I did. (VERY EXPENSIVE) I tried with that donor twice and my doctor said it looks like he has low motility (lazy sperm). I decided on a different donor and got pregnant with one try.

My suggestion is buy 2 vials at a time. The shipping is a little expensive but not even close to the wasted sperm sitting in my doctor's office.

Also, check with CCB for the stats on your pick. They will tell you reported pregnancies and births. It's important to choose someone who has good swimmers.

Good luck!