Options

OBGYN or RE...which to use???

My partner and I are just now starting to go through the process and will be talking to our dr. about seeing either an OBGYN or an RE. My question is...which doctor do you see for an IUI? Is an RE just for women going through IVF?

Thanks so much!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Talia -

Typically, IUIs are done by an RE. However, that is because historically speaking, most women doing IUIs had some sort of reproductive issue. In the last 10-15 years, as more lesbian couples and single women are starting their families without necessarily having any specific issues getting pregnant, more and more OBs are performing IUIs.

Depending on your age, health, or any additional issues that could hamper a successful pregnancy, using an OB may be a fine (and more cost-effective) option. The challenge sometimes is finding an OB who does IUIs.

If you are under 35 and in good general health, your best option may be to schedule an OB visit for initial examination and basic blood work. If the OB determines that you are better off with an RE, she will have a referral for you.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB