Options

Weight Gain

Hi Ladies,

After my first IUI failed, I took some time off to regroup. I'm back, this time going under the IVF process. Since been on the follistim and progesterone, I gained over 10lbs in less than 2 weeks. I'm schedule for transfer tomorrow morning and the shots of progesterone are suppose to continue for 12 weeks. Does your weight go back down once you stop taking these shots? What is the average weight gain when using these drugs? Any suggestion on how to combat bloating, water retention or increase hunger side effects?

Comments

• Options
    I went through the same thing 1 failed IUI and then IVF. I was on 3 shots a day for the last couple of weeks of shots. I was extremely bloated, my stomach was in so much pain from tuggling and pulling. My last ultrasound was so uncomfortable because your ovaries are so enlarged. After the egg retrieval, i was in a little discomfort. Needed a couple of days off. Then, the transfer was a breeze. I slowly lost several pounds after everything was done.

I was crying daily the last week before the procedure. I only craved fatty foods and protein.
    I usually eat someehwat healthy, but the thought of salad was not good.

I was so relieved when all the shots stopped. I did progesterone cream instead.

Good luck with everything. It's a tough process to go through.
  • Options
    Thanks Nbound72, at least I know this is common.

Today the doctor transferred 4 embryo. I'm on bed rest for the next 48 hours. I'm still on the progesterone shots. My first progesterone blood test is scheduled for this Friday and the pregnancy test on Oct 4th.

Thanks again for the well wishes and same to you.
  • Options
    I wish you all the best!
    Relax and enjoy the two days of bedrest.

I am seeing the dr. tomorrow for a baseline appt and will start my round of shots on Friday. This will be the first IVF after 2 unsuccessful inseminations.

I can only hope that all women who long for a sweet baby have their dreams come true.
  • Options
    Hi Mz -

Wow! 4 transferred. Congrats. How are you feeling? Please keep in touch. I can't wait to hear your results. I'm done with my tww from a second IUI on Oct. 1

Janine - keep us posted on your process.
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

This past Friday I had my progesterone test, per the nurses it needs to be around 20 or higher, if not they would increase my shot from 1 ML to 1 1/2 ML. Also, they asked how many was implanted and the cell count. In all I had 8 eggs retrieved, 7 was mature, 6 fertilized but only 5 kept growing. Three embryos had 8 cells by the third day and two had 6 cells. I personally wanted to implant all 5 embryos just to increase my chances. The Doc was like nooooo! Since I just turned 40 in Aug, he advised me on just using the best 4 embryos. My progesterone level was within guideline so my next step is pregnancy test on Oct 4th. Besides having eye hunger,I have the breast tenderness, bloating and fatigue. I'm scared to get my hopes up to much, since it this is my second try within 12 months.
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I received bad news...BFN! Even with 4 embroyos transferred nodda. It took me over a year to try IVF after the failed IUI. Now I'm back to square one. Do I try again or let it go? Its soo heart breaking.

MzD.