Options

Just how safe will I be?

How do I know for sure if the sperm I am going to use is safe. I am worried that some guy who is mad at the world because he has Hiv or AIDS will some get past the medical test and I will get his infected sperm. It would turn a dream into a nightmere.

Comments

• Options
    Did you request the brochures and guides from the CCB? In the brochures they explain all the testing the donors have to go through. Out of 1000 applicants only 9 will make the cut.

From the site:

Good isn't good enough
    Ever wondered how a sperm bank selects donors? At California Cryobank, our stringent Donor Qualification Process (including genetic and infectious disease screening ) allow less than 1% of all applicants to make it into our program.

Why are we so picky? Because being a CCB donor means being the best. While some banks charge extra for their more "desirable" donors, we consider all our donors to be "premium" level, each possessing excellent health histories and unique individual interests and talents.

Selection + Quality = finding your ideal donor!

THE SCREENING PROCESS
    Because some sperm will be lost during processing and not all sperm will survive the freezing and thawing process, semen samples must be evaluated to determine whether or not they will be useful. Many potential donors present with less-than-adequate specimens.

If the potential donor's semen sample meets our count and motility standards, it takes another 3+ months for the applicant to become a fully qualified donor. During this period, a PD must leave several semen and blood samples for laboratory testing and genetic screening.

Infectious disease testing is done during the initial screening and repeated approximately every 3 months thereafter. Testing includes:

Chlamydia
    Gonorrhea
    CMV Total antibody
    (if reactive, additional tests are performed to exclude an active infection)
    Hepatitis B Virus surface antigen
    Hepatitis B Virus core antibody
    Hepatitis C Virus antibody
    Hepatitis C Virus NAT (Nucleic Acid Test)
    HTLV I/II antibody
    HIV1/HIV2 antibody
    HIV 1 NAT (Nucleic Acid Test)
    Syphilis Serology
    One of our Genetic Counselors conducts a genetic interview which includes a review of the potential donor's long profile. The long profile includes information about the health of the donor, his siblings, his parents, his grandparents, his aunts, his uncles, and his cousins. The family medical history is carefully evaluated for any birth defects or known genetic conditions.

A donor applicant is disqualified from participation in the donor program if there is a family history which indicates that his offspring may be at increased risk for a birth defect or known genetic condition.

Once the genetic counselor, donor manager, laboratory manager, and the medical director are satisfied that the potential donor is a good candidate for our donor program, he becomes a fully qualified donor.