Options

Frustrated with Dr.

Hi Everyone... I'll give you a quick synopsis of the past 6 months... let me start by saying I am 38 yrs. old and my husband has a hereditary illness so we cannot have children together. We started this journey in September... My Dr. started me off on 150 mg Follistem... I ended up with 15 follicles. Cycle was cancelled (a little bit too many)... had to have a rest cycle because I still had too many follies. They bumped me down to 75 mg Follistem... Ended up with 6 follicles.... still a lot, but we decided to go ahead with the IUI (first one)... didn't work.... had to have another rest cycle because I ended up with cysts (too much stimulation).... So, my rest cycle just ended and they're starting me on 50 mg. tomorrow, however the Dr. said I should be more agressive and concider IVF. First of all IVF starts at $10,000 which we don't have, secondly, I've only had ONE IUI...why would they be so quick to suggest "Being more aggressive?"... when infertility isn't the reason we're doing this and we haven't even been given the chance w/ the right amount of meds. for an IUI to work? Just wondered if anyone else out there has run into a similar situation. Thanks for letting me vent :-)

Comments

• Options
    uhhgg! I would definitely be frustrated. I think they should never bump you to IVF until you have done 3-4 cycles of IUI. Also, it looks like you might be overly sensitive to follistem due to the amount of eggs you are ovulating. Have you thought about clomid? I did 100mg of clomid day 5-9 and a trigger shot, my first IUI worked (I had two follies). Don't let your doctor push you towards IVF. My doctor wanted us to just skip to IVF too and I put my foot down saying that I was sure IUI would work and it did. If he won't listen, switch doctors. Good luck hon' :)
  • Options
    Hey Elizabeth
    I can relate to you, but in a different way. I am now in my 2ww and I am not very postitive. I tried telling my DR. that I ovulated a day early because according to my body which I think I know pretty well said that I am ovulating on the day that I get my first + surge. The nurse states that they will still wait until 24 hrs later. Which makes them delivering the spern 17 hrs after my eggs have been released. I really don't like those odds. I lied and they still made me wait this time. The only difference was they used a trigger shot. I have only one more vial there and once I have used it I think I will be moving on to another DR. and I will make sure that this one will listen to me. I hate that you are having problems this process is hard enough as it is. I would change DR's.
  • Options
    I am guessing it is probably because of your age that they are pushing IVF. Once you pass the age of 35, the risks of birth defects increase exponentially with each year, and the chances of getting pregnant decrease rapidly with each passing year. I don't mean to be cold, I'm just being honest. If I were you I would not use Clomid, as it does run a risk of thinning your uterine lining. After three IUIs on injectible drugs, I would go to IVF. Good luck.
  • Options
    I changed RE after 4 cycles. Different reasons, and 2 cycles after new RE and still no BFP. However, I am much happier with the new clinic. I suggest going with your gut. Go to a consult with a new Dr. A second opinion may even say what your current Dr is saying. Either way, you will feel much better and more positive if you decide to stay or go. IVF does seem a little aggressive after one IUI which you did great at! I only wish I could make so many follies!
  • Options
    Hi.
    I think you should definately go for another opinion. My RE also suggested IVF after only one IUI. I'm 35 and have never tried to get pregnant. WHile I understand that every year after 35 carries increased risks of birth defects but so do the fertility drugs if you read the pamphlet that comes with them. It does sound as if you are too sensitive to the drug you are currently on and while Clomid does run the risk of thining the uterine lining it is much milder. You can try that for 3 cycles and if that doesn't work then move onto something a little more aggressive. Where do you live? If you live in the NYC area I can suggest a good RE. I got 3 opinions and left my old RE. I am currently with a new RE which I absolutely love. Good luck.
  • Options
    I know many people who have gotten pregnant on Clomid with no issues at all. Yes, there is a chance of thin uterine lining but usually only after someone has been on it a long time. I am 32 almost 33 yo and Clomid was a magic drug for me, like it has been for many people I know. I hope you find the right combination soon :) Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your posts...It really does help hearing opinions/experiences from others that know just what you're experiencing. We're going through with the second IUI with maybe back to back inseminations... a little costly, but still much less than IVF. We'll cross the next obstacle when we get there, but for now we're optimistic. Good Luck Ladies... thanks again for the encouragement.