Options

Struggles of IVF process as a single woman

How has it been going through the IVF process as a single woman/mother?

I am starting the process alone soon.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Nikky6,
    I'm also going through the process alone. I went through one successful cycle last moth that didn't work out and I', planning to try again next month. The last time, I did genetic testing before transfer and there were chromosomal abnormalities with both embryos. It was a hard hit, but I'm really thankful and proud of how strong I have been able to be. It's daunting and scary and nerve racking, but I know I'm supposed to be a mom so I don't want to quit. I'm not afraid of being a single mother, even though it would be so great to have a loving partner to experience it with. I'm being realistic in knowing that at my age (41) I cannot afford to wait for Mr. Right to dive into conception. I figure I'd rather have a donor and raise my child with love and strength than be in a n unhealthy situation with a man who is not worthy of this beautiful struggle.

I go to my visits alone. I took my shots alone. I shared my process with very few people and asked one friend to pick me up after egg retrieval. I know not many ppl will be able to relate or understand what I'm doing and I don't want any negativity around me. My closest friends and select family members know and support me. I know my child's spirit is out there waiting for us to find our way to each other, and that's what keeps me going. I'm happy to share anything I can to make you feel strong and positive.
    XOXO
  • Options
    Hi Nikky6,

I just went through the IVF process on my own after two failed IUI attempts. Because of my age (38) my doctor recommended IVF, the success rates were much higher. Like artiste7475, I went to my appointments alone and took my shots alone. I have a huge support system but chose to do this myself, after all, I'll be by myself after this is done.

My egg retrieval was much easier than I thought, no pain and I was up and moving right after. I had 5 eggs and only 2 fertilized. It was a long week of waiting to see if those two little embryos made it. Thankfully they did! I had two embryos transferred. I got my BFP last week and I couldn't be more excited!! Next week I'll have my first ultrasound and will get to see this tiny miracle.

Stay positive, it's amazing how strong us Single Mom's to-be are. You will be amazed at how much you can do on your own, between making the tough decision of a donor to injecting yourself for the first time. Best of luck to you on your journey :)
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies artist7475 & OCMomToBe for sharing your experiences.

I will most likely have my mom be by my side during this experience.

I will ask the office to send the nurse to my house to administer the shots. I can't imagine doing them myself!

:-O

Ariste7475, It would be nice to have a partner indeed, but like you, with my condition and age I don't want to risk it and take a chance on waiting for Mr. Right.