Options

what does cmv stand for?

Hi scott,
I want to thank you for answering my questions:)
have another one for ya what does cMv status stand for ,because i am interested in a donor who is positive....

thanks m.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Mariamr -

CMV is nothing to worry about. CMV positive simply means the donor was exposed to the CMV virus at some point and carries the CMV antibody (similar to once you have chicken pox you will always test positive for the chicken pox antibody). It does not mean the donor has an active infection.

All donors (positive or negative) are tested regularly and if an active infection is ever revealed any vials collected since the previous negative test are disposed off from quarantine.

In our 30+ year history, we have never had a report of a CMV positive donor transmitting CMV to a CMV negative client. For the record, it is estimated that well over half the American adult population are CMV positive for the antibody.

If you are still concerned, your physician can do a CMV screening to find out if you are positive.

More info: http://www.cryobank.com/How-It-Works/Donor-Qualification/Infectious-Diseases-Screening/CMV-Testing/

Regards,

Scott