Options

When to switch donors?

i am in the last few days of my 3rd, unmedicated IUI and i am feeling the symptoms of AF. still not sure if that means it's negative- i will wait a few more days. but if it is, i am curious...

what are the conditions/circumstances some of you have experienced when switching to a new donor?

i have used the same donor all 3 times. i really like him. he has no pregnancies yet b/c he is a new donor (march). do i keep trying with him or try someone else? i know at the clinic when they do the IUI, if the sample is not in it's best condition, they won't use it. so maybe it is a matter of time and patience? which at this point, not sure i have them. i have to wait if this is negative b/c of money to try again. any insight into this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Hey Tracy -

When I selected my original donor I really didn't check about reported pregnancies or births. Having the most popular donor was not something I wanted. I didn't want all these siblings out there. After 1 IUI and 1 IVF procedure, I decided to ask CCB about my donor's success. I found out he has had less than 5 reported births and NO reported pregnancies. My doctor explained to me that my donor had very low motility. He knew this because of assisted fertilization and they monitored 5 embryos for freezing. At the stage where the sperm is supposed to "kick in" for division all the embryos stopped growing. My doctor suggested a new donor. I did some research on my 2nd choice and found he had over 5 reported pregnancies and over 5 births. He also updated his pics. I am in my tww and even if I'm not pregnant with this donor, I'm glad I made the switch. I realized, I'm not looking for my husbabd here, just a donor with strong swimmers.

In your situation, it's hard to determine if your donor has strong motility because he's new. Maybe ask the doctor if they can check motility. If his numbers look good, then it's only a matter of time.

It's hard for us single girls because each time we do this, it costs almost $1,000 or more.

If you're really happy with your donor then don't give up on him. Trust your gut.
  • Options
    Hi! Do you know what a good motility rate is? I had my first (unsuccessful) IUI two weeks ago, and he had a motility rate of 51%. The doctor didn't seem to act surprised that it was low, but, then again, I didn't get pregnant with this specimen yet. :(
  • Options
    I am in the same boat. I just had my 3 BFN(umedicated IUI) and I am considering changing my donor as well. When is enough enough??

M