Options

How to thaw frozen sperm at home?

Hi, I am thinking of getting an ICI insemination at home cause I have already spent way to much money on the RE, he's ripping me off and will continue to do so, so I have decided to stop going to him and just get the insem done at home by myself. I cant afford to spend more money on him or on another RE.

So I wanted to know once I have received the vials how do I thaw the frozen sperm at home? I had read NOT to use hot water as that might kill the sperm cells. What about warm water? what are some good safe ways to thaw the sperm without affecting the quality of it? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    This post seems odd to me. My unmedicated IUI with an RE cost about $200 I have never hear of the IUI costing more than $500-600 unless something wasbeing done to improve the odds of conception. Home insemination may be a thrifty and practle option for you, especially if you have no fertility issues. However, it sounds as though you may be making this choice out of frustration with a single bad experience. My experience with doctors is that most of them are good people who are just trying to help. If the one you have now does not fit that ideal, that doesn't mean the next one will be just as bad.
  • Options
    Its not only the cost of the insem in itself but I have already spent lots of $ on different tests, dr consults, ultrasounds and things I dont need as I have no fertility isses(as you had suggested).

Anyways, I live outside the U.S And in the city where I live there is only that one RE so its not like I can just go to another one. Besides, I cant afford more unecessary expenses. Thank you for your concern anyways.
  • Options
    Pamela Marie- We just did our first at home insem this morning the an Instead Cup. All we did was remove the vial placed it in room temp water for about 5 mins then rolled it around in my hand for about another 5mins then it was all thawed. I was scared at first but its a simpel process. Just makes sure you use gloves to remove the vial from the tank.
  • Options
    Thanks missbryan! I will sure do that! So in total it took you about 10 minutes for it to thaw? 5 min in room temp water and other 5 in hand? Did you use ICI? I hope it works out for you! Now ur in the dreaded 2WW. I hope it all turns out to be positive 4 u. Keep us posted.

-Pamela
  • Options
    Hi Pamela -

There are thawing instructions included in the vial shipment. The above advice is correct. Do not use anythng but room temp water.

Goood luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Pamela- Yes about 10mins or so...to the point it was watery. We used ICI and used 2 vials once with the instead cap (didn't like to much) and the 2nd vial we did our own insem with a syringe and catheter (which was very easy). Yes we are in the dreaded 2WW and counting the days. I def will keep everybody posted.
  • Options
    Good luck!

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Can you thaw the vial in a dry heat block set at 37C?
  • Options
    Hi Commie -

Yes, the handling instructions sent with vial shipments include thawing instructions for laboratories. The vials can be thawed at 37 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes in a Dry Heat Block (13 mm holes, minimal air around cryovial).

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB