Options

Total mobile sperm counts for 14106 and/or 13988

I have had four failed IUIs with another donor. Yesterday, one of the doctors at my clinic stated that the total mobile sperm counts for this donor have been "suboptimal" (I have had to get a refund on two vials now), and he highly suggested that I look into a new donor. My two back up donors are 14106 and 13988.

Could anyone who has used either of these donors give me any information on what their numbers are like? I am especially interested in the numbers for IUI vials, but any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    We did five IUIs with 13988 and three were 10-15 million and two were around 5 million. We got refunds for those two and decided to switch donors.
  • Options
    Hi, and thanks for replying! Were all of the vials you used IUI vials, or were they ICI vials that were washed at your clinic? I wonder why there was such a discrepancy between the two 5 million vials and the three 10+ million. With the donor I am currently using, the numbers were all pretty subpar, but they were also consistent. Two were 7 million, one was 9.8 million, and the last one was 11 million.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

Jenny
  • Options
    Hi Jenny,

They were all IUI vials thawed at the doctor's office. We did 6 IUIs, the first was with a different donor, and only those two were below 10 million. I have no idea why! We used the two refunds to buy a new donor. Having a fibroid removed tomorrow and then we will have the next IUI at the end of August. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Hey! Good to hear that you are getting the fibroid removed today! Good luck with your August IUI! I hope this leads to your BFP! Thank you again for your help. I think I may go with 14106 based on your information.
  • Options
    The fibroids (apparently there were several) are gone! I definitely say go with your gut and if 14106 feels right to you then you should pick him. We really liked 13988 but after two low vials we felt like it was time to switch. Hopefully our new guy has better vials, and I wish you luck with 14106!
  • Options
    Yay!! Congrats on no more fibroids! That must be such a relief! Why do you have to wait until August to do the next IUI? Just curious. Also how did you know or figure out that you had fibroids that could potentially be impacting your ability to get pregnant? I am wondering if I don't have a similar problem, given that I am on my 5th IUI with all negative results. I haven't had any symptoms to indicate otherwise though. How do you check to see if you have them?
  • Options
    Hi Jenny,

The fibroids were found during a routine follicle check prior to my 7th IUI in March (which we skipped). The NP just happened to see something she thought might be a fibroid. I then had a saline sonogram in May that confirmed the fibroids and had a Myosure procedure on Tuesday to remove them. The doctor that performed the procedure said they've probably been there for years, and I'm not surprised. Fibroids can cause heavy periods and anemia, which I've had for years. They can also cause fertility problems if they are in the uterus, which these were. Who knows if they're actually the problem but I'm glad they're gone either way!

Honestly, I'd been feeling for months that something was wrong so when the NP found the fibroids I wasn't shocked. If you feel like something isn't right I would definitely request additional testing, and perhaps a saline sonogram. They give a better picture of the uterus than an HSG or a normal sonogram. If I'd known that test existed I would have requested it before we got started with the IUIs. I'm a better safe than sorry kind of gal!

We have to wait a month for the uterus to heal and then can resume with the IUIs. Based on my cycle we'll do one at the end of August and then try 1 or 2 more before we switch to my wife.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm all about helping each other out!