Options

new here,is 27 too young?

Hi, everyone, all of you single mommies and mommies to be. I have made the decesion to become single mom. I plan on starting ICI or IUI next summer. wAs wondering if any of you think 27, which I"ll be next summer is too young to start this process? I live in my own house but am by no means rich. I am an artist and writer, both unpredictable jobs but great ones for a single mom (will be able to work at home). My mom is very supportive and excited about my decesion as is my cousin and a few friends. Any opinions on what age is too young? I can't wait to be a mom. I've been taking care of kids since I was seven years old and volunteering my time with them for years. I'm tired of waiting for the right guy, someone who would be a great dad for one. I've never been particularly lucky in love, have always fallen for the guy who didn't feel the smae about me. I am 95% sure of my decesion, but worry about giving up on that dream of the "traditional family". Especially since my own dad wasn't around much when I was growing up. Any insights you all have would be great! I am so glad that CCB has this forum, it is so great to know there are many other ladies out there in the same boat. Thank you for all of your sharing. Nicole

Comments

• Options
    Is 27 too young? Good question! I'm 38 and am in your same shoes. The fact that you have your mom and cousins around is great. My mom lives in NV and I live in NH. I've been worried about daycare myself - planning on $1000 per month is insane, but if you can work at home..... I don't know what to tell you. I was just on the phone with my ex-husband's girlfriend the other day (I know, strange, but we all get along and trade our dogs) and told her that I thought if I had to do it all over again I'd get pregnant in the 28-30 range. Don't wait past 35!! Personally, If I were you, I think I would wait a little longer - maybe another year or two. People have been telling me for years "you still have time". You might want to check out the book "single mothers by choice". Good luck!!!! -Karen
  • Options
    I do not believe there is any such thing as too young or too old!!! I was 22 when I was inseminated and my fertility doctor requires all his patients to have a psych consult before hand, and my psychiatrist said he had never met anyone more emotionally ready for ANYTHING in his life. He said even himself and his wife were not as emotionally prepared to start a family so... However he also said that no one can really make that decision but you! If you are financially in a position to raise a child, and you feel you're ready... why not? It sounds like you have a great support system... and honestly what is a "traditional family" these days?
  • Options
    Hi I am 24 and will start the insemination in two a month, all I can say is this is my time and thats why I am doing this, I guess it really just depends on how you feel. My father once told me there is no right time for anything, just go with your heart. Good luck.

- Nina
  • Options
    thank you for your responses, it's nice to know there are other young women who have made the same choice. Nicole
  • Options
    Hi,
    I was 26 when I decided to have my child and to be honest it was one of the best decisions ever made. I had to do several process because I wasnt able to become pregnant,now thanks to Cryobank I have my child who is now 3 years old still single and soo happy to be a mother.

Go with your heart at all time... Best of luck
  • Options
    Ps. Life is just one and I dont believe in been ready I think we all have to go through it in order to know how ready we are.As long as you have a job and family to love you nothing else really matters...
    Go ahead and give this world a baby to smile..
  • Options
    Im already thinking about it and Ill be 19 in December, Im thinking about doing it in 5 years. Ill have my nursing license in 2 years. Ive just never had a boyfriend and dont see anything happening anytime soon. My mom is supportive, she says "who needs a man"
  • Options
    I just turned 30 in October and am due in March. 27 is not "too young" for a married woman to have a child, so I don't see why it would be too young for a single woman. Infact, fertility begins to decline at age 27 and declines 15% per year after age 30. Wating until your mid thirties or later is a gamble that doesn't work out for everyone, so I say, if you feel ready, go for it.
  • Options
    I've wondered the same thing, and I'm 22. Glad to see I'm not the only early 20's gal here!
  • Options
    Hi MamaLaura, Ur 22 and u have 3 kids already? What are their ages? just wondering...
  • Options
    No, I have 2 kids. If/when I get pregnant by using a CBB donor, it'll be my 3rd. My son is 3 and my daughter is 2. I'm divorced.