Options

Using DS after natural child

We have a 7 y/o daughter who was conceived by me and my husband. We have been trying for 5 years with many IUS and a handful of IVFs to have another child. As far as we know, our issue is male factor. We will most likely be doing a DS IUI cycle next month.

My question is if we are blessed with another child through DS and we decide to tell him/her that they are from DS, does it make it more difficult since we have a daughter who was conceived naturally? I am afraid it will make this child feel different or not loved as much which, of course, would never be the case.

If anyone has experience with this or thoughts on this, I would love to hear it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Well, if you choose to not tell your child then you have to make sure that no one but your husband and you knows about this. Even then, it is not easy. Such things have a way of finding their way into the light.

Personally, I would tell my child. Consider, by the time you tell your child, he/she will already have experienced your love and affection and will know that you care about him/her. People generally prefer knowing, especially when it concerns their own history.

My brother-in-law's 18 year old sister is adopted, everybody knows, but her. I think that is so horrible. Especially, I am sure, she will be livid once she finds out that everyone knew but her.
    So, should you decide to not tell your child, you should probably really try to keep it between your husband and you.

Just my 2cents, here :-)
  • Options
    My parents had me through DS and then somehow, 4 years later they had my brother naturally. Strange. But my parents never told him because they believe it is a private thing between the three of us. However, when he gets older (he's only 15 now) and we have a more solid relationship I am planning on telling him because I want to be honest with my brother.