Options

Suggestions on LH Surge timing!!!

I ALWAYS get my LH surge (smiley face) in the evenings. My OBGYN has told me to always test in the morning, but being that I know I get my surge at night...would it be too late to inseminate the following morning...so for example: Got my surge at 8pm on the 5th and the morning of the 6th...would going for my insem on the 7th be too late? My OBGYN only does IUI's from 7am-12pm.

It just seems like I might miss the timing. What do you think? Does anyone else tend to surge in the evenings?

I almost want to say I got my surge on the morning of the 5th, to be able to have it on the 6th...confused!!

Any insight would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I suggest going in for the IUI the morning after the evening surge. My RE has us test in the late afternoon/early evening as well, and then we go in for the IUI the next morning at 11am.
    2 days later may be cutting it too close since once you get the positive on the opk, you will ovulate within the next 24-36hrs and the egg is only good for 24hrs.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    I tested my LH surge several times a day around the time I thought I was going to ovulate. I watched my cervical discharge and tested around that. I thought I had missed it the month I got pregnant but here I am 30 weeks pregnant. So good luck.
  • Options
    Talia--I know exactly what you are talking about!! I had more stress about when I was ovulating and scheduling my IUI than I've had during this 2WW!!! My dr. also told me to test in the morning. However, because I'm crazy, I was testing in the morning and late afternoon (just in case). I got my surge at 4:00 p.m. Called the nurse and she was gone for the day. So I called first thing the next morning. She said if I had kept to testing in the am, that I would have seen it the next morning, and scheduled the IUI for the next day. She assured me I was still within the time range (after the surge goes up, you ovulate anywhere from 24-36 hours, and then the egg is still good for 24 hours).

So, since it was too late to be scheduled that same morning, I went the next day. I too am feeling like it could have been too late.... Not sure though. If it doesn't work this time, next time I'm going to test both in the am and late afternoon and schedule it right when I see the surge. I'll let you know! My 2WW is over on Saturday, and then I test!!!

I don't think that gives you any answer, but maybe just a little piece of mind that there are others out there in the same boat!!
  • Options
    Hi- I am having similar timing issues- for what it's worth my doc says to do IUI the day after the surge. One month I surged at 1:00 PM (I usually surge in the late afternoon like you) and she actually had me switch my appt. from 4:00 PM the next day earlier to 11:00 AM so I think maybe your doc is off about waiting another day...

The math is confusing because I think we ovulate 24-36 hours from the peak of the surge so if you catch the surge on the way up that may not be the peak BUT the surge also occurs before we can detect it in the urine right? Then we have to account for how long the egg lives and the sperm which I have read is closer to only 12 hours with frozen sperm...

Anyway good luck to everyone!