Options

Motility Guarantee?

Hi Scott,

I had my 6th IUI this morning and was advised that our donor sperm motility was low. We purchased one ICI vial and the post thaw/wash count was 12mil with 23% motility. My RE considers anything below 30% to be a poor sample.

Motility for our last 5 IUIs were 49%, 43%, 37%, 49%, & 40%. I was quite shocked to learn that this sample was 23%.

What are your count/motility standards?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Chaveece -

That sounds a little low, although counts can certainly vary from lab to lab. Here are the specifics of our specimen guarantee:

http://www.cryobank.com/Why-Use-Us/Specimen-Quality-Standards/

You should have your physician fill out the form included with your shipment. If your pregnancy is not successful, please contact Melonee, our Client Relations Manager, at mevans@cryobank.com or by phone at 866-927-9622 x 1240. She will be glad to help you.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Is this still the right procedure for motility under 50%? We got 45% on one of the donor vials. Should we contact Melonee?

Thank you.
  • Options
    Hi sea -

The guarantee is for total motile sperm, which is count times motility. Lower motility on its own is nothing to worry about, since motility is not how well sperm swim, but how many are swimming.

Sperm continue to "wake up" after insemination. When your physician does his QC check on the specimen, it is generally right after the thaw when some sperm are still slightly frozen and/or "groggy".

Sperm thrive at body temperature, but you wouldn't want to heat them all the way up prior to insemination and risk frying the little guys.

Good luck!

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    So, are you not supposed to have the water bath at normal body temp? How warm should the water bath be?
  • Options
    Are you using total motility or progressive motility for calculation?
  • Options
    Hi Lj -

For an at-home ICI, room temperature is fine for the water bath. No warmer than 90 degrees or so. You just want to get the vial fully thawed so you don't miss any sperm.

Netti - Total Motility.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB