Options

future mommies; please reply

greetings future mommies

I am new to the site and I was wondering if anyone has any recommedations on how many vials I should purchase. I know this is very similar to another post, but the difference is I am twenty eight. From what I have been reading on most of the ladies are atleast thirty.

Comments

• Options
    martys81wife,

Welcome! I will be 26 years old in two weeks and I purchased 6 vials of my donor, 11687. Are you going to be doing an IUI or IVF? From what I have read, the average success rate for IUI is between 3 to 4 cycles. Like you said, you are only 28. I decided to go with the 6 vials and get one year of storage free since I won't be starting my IUI until January, and I did not want to take the chance of having to find another donor if my donor has no more vials. If you find a donor that you really want to use, then it may be best to be on the safe side and get at least 4-6 vials just in case his vials run out. I posted a message under Deciding to Use Donor Sperm/Selecting a Donor with the heading "Willing to share donor info", so feel free to check out the donor numbers I have and if you see one you are interested in, I can email you their information. Best of luck to you!

Tara
  • Options
    martys81wife...hello and welcome to the boards! I really think it's an indivdual decision...if you plan on having other children by the same donor, you should by all means purchase them now and put them in storage. My donor was a new donor and he had over 100 vials available, so I only purchased the one vial. Thank God, I got pregnant on my first IUI, but if I hadn't I probably would have just purchased one more single vial for the next month. I had already made up my mind that if I didn't get a BFP within 3 months that we would change donors.

Good luck on this journey...it's an exciting and emotional rollercoaster. :)
  • Options
    I ordered 10 vials over several months from another donor bank, but when I switched to CCB, I ordered 3 the first month (2 back to back IUIs and 1 at home insemination) and it took. I am 6 months pregnant with donor 11659, and have 12 more vials stored for the next 3 years, in case he runs out, I know I'll have enough to have a sibling for the baby I'm pregnant with now.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all the replies. My intentions are IUI first. Initally I was going to get atleast four. I do think later I would want to have atleast one other child. Of course I would want both of my children by the same donor as well. Slcole was it the IUI or the home insemation that got you pregger? I have so many thoughts in my mind. Initally I was leaning toward home insemation to begin with. I am just full of ideas and my head is quite full. Again thank you ladies and good luck to everyone past, present, and future mommies.
  • Options
    I'm 36 and I'm only starting with 4 vials. I plan to ship them all to my DOCs office at once too, to avoid monthly shipping fees. But I don't plan on having more children. I already have a 21 month old son and I'm just hoping to use a donor to give him a brother or sister.

If I don't get pregnant after 4 attempts, then I will re-group and decide what to do next. I have narrowed down a handful of donors, who are my "favorites". Two, who I really want. (this process is overwhelming and will consume all your thoughts and energy until you find the one you want. Its a long process and takes some people months. It took me about 3 weeks) So, hopefully one of my top 2 or 3 will be available in the future if the first 4 vials don't work.

Since you are young and will most likely want more children in the future (if you can afford it) I would buy the "family tomorrow deal" where you buy 12 vials and get 3 years free of storage. Then you can just ship 3 or 4 vials to the DR and if that doesn't work, ship more or keep the rest for future use.

If your insurance covers the office visits, personally I would skip the @ home inseminations.

Hope that helps? Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you vegaschic for the info. That is a very good idea and you are right about this thing consuming you. I do have it narrowed down to about five donors now. Does anyone know if it is easier for somone my age to get pregnant with no history of infertility or anything, or are the statistics pretty much the same with 3-4 attempts being around the number for success rates.
  • Options
    Marty, yes. the percentage is higher each month for you to get pregnant. I think you have about a 20-25% chance each month, if you had natural intercourse (or do the insemination at home). Woman between 30-35 years old have a 15-20% chance. And supposably I only have a 10% chance just because I'm 36. But so many things effect these percentages. And if you do an IUI at the DRs office, your percentages go up. My DR told me that if everything looked good in the blood work and stuff, that I'd have a 30% chance with an IUI each month and thinks I will achieve pregnancy within 3 cycles.

I'm not letting her do all the "routine" tests that they usually do to check "infertility". I wanted to start this off by just assuming I was fertile, since I already had a baby and just do things as naturally as possible.

When they give the "average" of 3 or 4 insemination, that's probably averaging people of all ages, I think. According to my DR, she said that 70% of "fertility healthy" woman get pregnant within 3 IUI cycles.
  • Options
    Ok, thank you sooo much vegas chick. That really eased my mind quite a bit. It sucks that accordings to the statistics because of your age the percentages decrease slightly. I believe you will be pregnant very soon and you can say HA I'm with child. Plenty of baby dust all over you!!
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the stats, vegaschic - I had that same question, but hadn't thought to ask my doctor outright.

Martys: I am "fertility healthy" by every test known, and preserved my eggs a few years back, during which time we confirmed great eggs. HOWEVER, with our first IUI we discovered - to my surprise that this wasn't discovered before - that not only do I have a tilted uterus that is *so* tilted as to defy the most experienced of gynos, but that I have a significant "bend" going on. In other words, there are anatomical challenges that nobody had anticipated and that none of the tests took account of/noted. It may be worthwhile to check with your doctor that you're one of the lucky majority who *can* do IUI at home, and I would also ask him or her to just do a reality-check using his skilled hands to ensure everything will be a-ok. Can't hurt.