Options

IUI and Trigger Shot, Same Day

My first IUI cycle, I recieved high readings starting on Day 11 on an OPK, got a peak mid-day on Day 14, then got my IUI done Saturday morning. It didn't take. Now I'm in the midst of my second cycle, and I decided to try a trigger shot to better time it, even though I ovulate naturally. I went for an ultrasound the morning of Day 11, after getting a high on my OPK that morning. During ultrasound, the doctor said I'd probably trigger on the night of Day 14, and get inseminated morning of Day 16. Hours later, I got a call saying my bloodwork showed I was surging and ideally I'd do the IUI the next day, but it was Thanksgiving, so office was closed. The doc said I did have one large follicle, not sure of the exact size. So, I went in later the same day (Day 11) and got the IUI done and took the trigger shot while I was at the office. Has anyone had this experience? Did I get the IUI done too early? Was it sensible to do the IUI and take the shot in the same day?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Well, the answer is maybe. First of all, if you got a high on your opk, that means you're surging, so I'm not sure why your doctor would say you should wait 3 days to trigger. The trigger shot makes you ovulate about 36 hours after if you are not already surging, because the trigger shot creates a surge. If you are already surging, you are likely going to ovulate sooner, like 24 hours or so (but everyone is different!) in that case the trigger shot is just a little extra boost to ensure it happens, and if you have more than one mature follicle, to help you ovulate them all. If I surged on my own, my RE always wanted me to come in around 24-28 hours later for my iui.

So, frozen sperm lives about 24 hours, although some studies say longer, like 48, with it losing some potency after the first 12 or 24 hours. There is a chance you ovulated in time and the sperm was right there waiting for your egg, which is ideal. I hope that's the case! But yeah I'd ask your doctor for some clarification on why he thought you wouldn't ovulate until 5 days after your surge, and why he didn't think that a peak opk meant you were surging. Good luck!