Options

I have to see a counciler/shrink..

Is this a usual requirement? The Fertility Center I am looking into going requires all those that plan on using a 3rd Party in reproducing to visit their Psychiatrist. Just to be evaluated. I've never visited a shrink before, I'm a little nervous.. What can I expect from this?

Comments

• Options
    My own fertility doctor evaluated me, and the reason why he told me people have to go through the psych tests is because of that Octomom incident a few years ago.

They'll ask you "Why do you want to be a mother?"
    "Do you have a means of supporting the child once it's born?"
    and stuff like that. :)
  • Options
    My fertility doctor made me do the same thing. I think it's pretty common. They suggested several psychologist. When I called several of them, the fee was about $275 - $350. Insurance didn't cover it.

Here's what I ended up doing. I went to a family counselor and I brought a list of questions the doctor wanted them to ask/evaluate. The counselor wrote the doctor a letter of "approval" that I'm not crazy. :)
    This was covered under my insurance and the copay was only $20.

Double check with your fertility doctor and see if you can go that route. It was just so much more cost effective.
  • Options
    That's a good idea, I figured councilor would probably be more expensive then 350..

I looked on the website of the doctor I would really like to go to and it said that they may order a MMPI test which is a 567 question survey.. And then their Physiologist reveiws it.. Apparently the doctors wife is the head councilor person though, I dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I also found out that the couple had to go through fertility treatments when they had their child too. So that will be nice to have a doctor who can somewhat relate to my situation of wanting a child.