Options

Time to move to IVF?

Hi all,

So, Im finally thinking it's time to move to IVF after 7 failed IUIs. I've done natural cycles, cyles on clomid and nothing. My blood work looked fine, clear HSG - the doctor said it was a lapascopy (which I don't want to do) to check for problems, IUI with injectables (which don't have a much greater sucess rate) or IVF.

Anybody moved on to IVF? What were your experiences. I'm scaried of the cost, not to mention everything else. They're booking more tests for me including STD (which I've already done), but they want them every year at $700. Plus another $700 to test my husband again!! Its crazy.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    I don't have any experience with IVF, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that you've had 7 failed IUI's. How devastating. I have read many posts of girls who have went on to IVF and had success. It does sound pricey and silly to pay all of that money for tests that you've already had done, but after you get your BFP you'll forget all about the money!

Good luck and KUP!
  • Options
    First of all, I am so sorry. It is so painful and such a hard thing to decide. Here is our story... Hope it helps.
    Dp and I had 13 total failed IUI's between us. After my 7th doc said let's move to ivf, we did not dp tried...after her 6th docs said...let's move to ivf. WE stopped for 6 months to save money and paid cash for first ivf in December. It failed and then we bought ( borrowed) the more pricy plan that we had to pay more up fron for but would get more tries.It worked. We were offered that the first time and were naive to think it would work on the first try. If your doc has a program like that I HIGHLY rec. you thinking about it. Even if the cost is more, we were so much more relaxed the second time around because we knew we had a couple more tries if it did not work and there was a refund of 70% if it did not work at all. WE lost ALL our $ the first go around. BUT...if we had stopped we would not be pg with our sweet twins right now.
    Good luck! If you have any other questions please ask!
  • Options
    I'm goole and find one IVF program.

Please google for CNY fertility center in central New York, they offer $13,000 for 6th IVF pay up-front., not including anaesthesia and medication.

They also have refund program if you are younger than 38 years old.
  • Options
    I had to move to ivf. it is a lot of timed shot taking, blood work and ultrasounds. It can be stressful. i will have my eggs transfered in tomorrow and im hoping for the best. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    How old are you? Have you been using the same donor through all your IUI attempts?? I tried four IUIs on my natural cycles, then one IVF (all with the same donor). The main reason for doing IUI was to once and for all rule out my husband as being able to biologically father our children. He has Klinefelter's syndrome and had no sperm from a semen analysis, but there was a slight chance sperm might be found from a testicular biopsy. But, none was found, so we fertilized my eggs with donor sperm when doing IVF. IVF did not work, but because I was young (24, just one month shy of 25) my doctor suggested switching to a new donor and trying just a few more natural IUIs before moving on to Clomid of injectable drugs. We waited a year, then tried again with a new donor and got pregnant right away. I know have a 21 month old daughter and I'm 13 weeks pregnant with our second child (also on our first try, natural IUI, with the same donor as our daughter).

If you are under 35 and have been trying the same donor all along, I would consider trying at least two or three IUIs with a different donor before moving to IVF. But, I don't know the whole situation.

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant to say that the main reason we did IVF was to make sure DH couldn't be the biological father, not IUI.
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm 32. I've actually tried 2 different donors now. I really do think that the timing of the IUI has something to do with it. I'm never quite sure if I've gotten the timing right and there's been a few times when I'm sure I was off.

My husband also has a zero sperm count, so we have to use a donor.

Since they can't find anything wrong with me, I do think IUI (natural, clomid, or injectables) would eventually work - I'm just thinking it would be a lot quicker and maybe in a strange way less stressful with IVF. It's also a cost thing - do we spend another 1k a month on IUI for however long and hope it works, or take a giant leap and do the IVF at 15k with a better chance.....

We've already spent around 7k on IUI.....

So much to think about and very confusing.

Thanks for your thoughts though and congrats on your kids.
  • Options
    I'm 40 years old,SMC. I just found on fertility clinic, 15 min from my house. After 5 failed IUI (spent 7K), I'm moving to IVF, pay up front $16,800 for 3 IVF, with 50% refund if not result in live birth, not include medication, anaesthesia, and ICSI.

God Bless Us All in this journey.
  • Options
    hannaha...My heart goes out to you dear. This has to be an emotional roller coaster for you. I can only imagine the stress that comes along with it. I'm excited for you moving on to IVF...surely this will give you your dream!

Hang in there and please KUP!