Options

sonohysterogram - is this normal??

Just had my sonohysterogram this morning (to examine the uterine cavity and fallopian tubes). Is it normal for a nurse, rather than a doctor, to perform such an invasive procedure?

The nurse first used a jumbo sized speculum, and it hurt so bad I screamed and told her to take it out. She said she couldn't, but then changed her mind (I think the ultrasound technician suggested she use the regular sized one instead) and it was a lot more tolerable. But since then, I've had pain in my abdomen and am truly hoping it didn't cause an infection. (I read elsewhere that some clinics provide preventative antibiotics, but mine didn't suggest any such thing). It was terrible and I would never do it again :( I'm also considering changing clinics because I can't believe they'd allow someone other than a doctor to do such an invasive procedure.

Comments

• Options
    I had mine done 5 years ago and it was horrible. I was in so much pain. I had mine done at the hospital and they would not give me any pain meds. I had my first IUI in January and told my new Doctor that I would not do the procedure again. Thankfully she agreed and used my old records.
  • Options
    I had a hysterosalpingogram, which I believe is about the same, and it was uncomfortable but not too terribly bad. A doctor performed the procedure and I did take antibiotics beforehand to prevent infection. Was the nurse who did it an RN (registered nurse) or NP (nurse practitioner)?? An NP has advanced training and I could understand that more so than an RN.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Mrandmrswhite, I'm not sure if the person was an RN or NP, but I did not get the impression she knew what she was doing. I tried to call today to speak with the doctor and they wouldn't let me through (said she'd return my call next week when she's back in the office). Really frustrating because I'm about to go out of town for a week to a small island with unknown health care access, and now I'm concerned that I won't know what to do if the pain continues and develops into an infection. The nurse refused to write me a prescription so that I would have it in case things did go bad while I'm gone. Really frustrating lack of follow up care for an overly traumatic and invasive procedure. :( I think I am definitely going to switch clinics at this point to somewhere that can be a little more hands-on with patient care and access.