Options

low count post-thaw

Hi, I just purchased an unwashed vial from you. My RE did an IUI and washed the sperm. The unwashed vial contained something like 12 million sperm and the motile sperm after wash was only 5.9 million. This is less than they wanted to see and also less than the guarantee, which I believe is for 15 million in the unwashed vials post-thaw.

What should I do about this?

Also, in the future, would it make sense to get 2 vials at a time? The doctor recommended 1 per insemination but I was really disappointed that I took those meds and spent that money and in the end felt that my chances were not that good.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hey hon... see my post concerning the same subject. Scott (Hiya CCB answer man!! :-)) will probably be the one to answer like he did for me.
  • Options
    Hi Angela -

Sorry to hear about your experience. It doesn't happen often, but based on counting methods and a number of other variables, vials with low counts can occur. Please email Melonee at mevans@cryobank.com for help. Keep in mind that we can not issue a credit until we know for sure your insemination was unsuccessful (which we of course hope is not the case).

For the record, many physicians recommend ordering IUI vials since the wash is done pre-freeze. They are slightly more expensive, but your doctor will usually charge you more than the difference to do the wash himself.

FYI... There has never been a study that shows anythinig over 5 million motile sperm increase your chances of success. In other words, your chances of success with this vial are mathmatically the same as a vial with 10 or 15 million. Of course, we stand by our guarantee and are glad to replace your vial if necessary.

As far as ordering more than one vial at a time, I always recommend shipping at least two. You should only need one per cycle, but on average it takes about 4 medicated IUI attempts per successful pregnancy. You want to make sure your donor doesn't sell out, so purchasing extra eliminates that risk. If you purchase 6 through our Family Today program, we will store them for free for a year, and then buy back any vials that have not left our facility. Many of our clients decide to have a second baby (whether they originally planned to or not), so having a couple of spare can turn out to be huge should your family goals change.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. Contact Melonee when the time comes and she will take care of you.

Best of luck!

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thank you both for the info! We will find out tomorrow whether or not I need to call Melonee! I am also interested in ordering the IUI vials but my RE wants to wash the vials in his lab. I am sort of thinking it might be a money thing. Hmmm.....
  • Options
    Hi Angela -

Just to stress the point...DO NOT LET HIM WASH AN IUI VIAL.

:-)

Scott
  • Options
    Hey Scott...that is very beneficial info. We had a similar experience with Fairfax. Our donor from there had a post thaw of 9.9 TMC. Once they did their wash to get the sample ready for the procedure, the TMC was only 7.1 with a motility of 34%.
    Now, we are going with your company, as it was our second choice. Our lab tech advised to call them to facilitate the ordering and he also advised that they always encourage people doing donor sperm to get an ICI sample. This is higher in TMC and is also unwashed. What are your thoughts on what we've been suggested? How should the clinic prepare this sample? IS getting the ICI vial better?

Thanks!