Options

Can I just Vent for a minute?

First I would like to say that I read these posts quite faithfully (ok maybe not as faithful as mistyandcarla) but pretty regularly :) and it helps so much to know we are all going thru the same stuff.

Ok, my whining - I have had 4 failed IUI's this year - which i know isnt as bad as what others have gone thru, but it is still disappointing. Even tho I have learned a lot about the whole process (spent loads of money on OV kits, fertility monitor, etc etc) I still dont feel as educated as I should be. I guess I am hoping my DR will wave a magic wand and say WALA! THis is what will work, we should have done this the first time...haha, but no such luck. Anyway, I will be starting clomid for the first time this week (other cycles were unmedicated) and I think I may give it only one cycle and then go to IVF - I already have a consultation appt in Sept - It is the attain IVF program, basically you get 6 tranfers for $12k (my cycles would be unmonitored where I live 4 hours from the clinic) and if I dont get pregnant I get a 70% refund because I am under 38 ( I am 36btw) so that does give me some hope....and something to look forward to if this month doesnt work (again) I think I can speak for most women involved when I say, I want this NOW, and I am tired of waiting, haha, patience is not something I am very good at ....haha - ok, thanks for listening everyone!! Good luck!
Kirsten

Comments

• Options
    kirsten504...well, I'm here again...I guess it helps me to pass time since I'm only working 4 hours a day and then when I get home my DP won't really let me do much. So, I do check in frequently. :)

Anyways, it's totally fine to vent here. I can't pretend to know that stress and disappointment that you are going through, nor do I know anything about a medicated cycle. I'm so sorry that you've had 4 IUI's without success...it has to be heartbreaking. The IVF program sounds promising though.

As for being educated by your RE...I think that most RE's assume we know what's going on. I remember after leaving our first visit, I was like, why do I feel so clueless? It was like I didn't gain any information from him other than to test for my surge and call when it's positive. That about summed up our visit. So, I came home and decided to educate myself. If you think I'm on this site a lot, you would think that I was crazy for all of the time I spent researching information on IUI's. I would just read and read. One site that was a big help to me was twoweekwait.com because I got information from other women TTC. It was real life experiences, not just research.

There are many people on this site that have gone to IVF...Kimi723 (I think that's the numbers that follow her name) comes to mind. If you're not on our FB site, maybe you could join it too. Kimi is on there a lot and should be able to answer your questions. She just recently got a BFP and it was after many, many tries.

Have you had any testing done? Does your doctor say that everything is clear? Don't let them use age as an excuse...I'm 36 years old. There's also a board on the twoweekwait website for women TTC that's 35 and over.

Hang in there, dear. I hope the IVF gives you the baby that you dream of!

Oh, I'm just curious...did they ever test your progesterone level at 7dpo? What was your number?
  • Options
    Thank you for your kind words.

Yes I speak to Kim, she is wonderful, although I have removed myself from the CCB facebook because I friend could see that I was friends with them, not sure how, but thankfully she was someone that knows about my situation, but alot of ppl on my FB are co-workers, and I DO NOT want them to know, so I thought it just best to remove myself.

I have not had any tests, I guess I just assumed my doctor would request them. I would like to have a day 3 FSH test done - and will most likely need that on Tuesday, hopefully i can get it, I am also assuming I should ask for an ultrasound after taking the clomid before the IUI? and NO - I have no idea what a 7dpo progesterne level test is for? Ugh, but I will ask about it, hehe....I love hearing all your info, keep it coming, hope yu and baby reece or reese are having a good weekend....( i LOVE that name btw)
  • Options
    Wow! Sorry to hear about the mess on FB! That's crazy!

I would suggest that you start telling your doctor that you want some tests ran...many times you have to take charge and tell them what you want...after all, you're paying them so they are working for you. You're the boss here! :)

Here are some suggestions that I've copied and pasted from other sites:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4499301/

http://books.google.com/books?id=MqKtZExOcKMC&pg=PA185&lpg=PA185&dq=test+to+see+why+IUI+isn't+working&source=bl&ots=gowokoIifd&sig=5BsH4gVubQQl8lSPmI7FQETyxuo&hl=en&ei=AMGGSpCAEMGHtgej4tnnDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Thanks for the nice comment about Reece's name...some people like it and some don't. Oh, well...can't please em' all! :)
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my two cents...

I have been thinking about becoming a single mom by choice for 1,5 years now, and it involved doing a lot of internet research, reading books, etc.

I came across a university reproductive center that would take my insurance, and so I made an appointment to evaluate my situation (end of 2007). I guess I must have been really lucky as my doctor is a psychiatrist in addition to a reproductive endocrinologist. My first appointment lasted more than an hour, and every time I've been to see him he encourages me to ask questions, while he draws diagrams to explain things and gives me reading lists, etc. He'll have his assistant email me further reading suggestions whenever he can't remember titles/authors when I'm there. He's pretty amazing and if he gets me pregnant, he'll absolutely be my hero!

He's very supportive of the situation of single moms by choice and he's been encouraging this whole time. I'm a very inquisitive person by nature, and not that I don't trust others (who've studied this for years) I feel that if I know as much as I can by researching on my own I can ask more directed questions and prompt for the answers that I need in order to feel in control of the situation, or somewhat at least.

When I started this whole process I researched what tests could be done in order to determine the state of my reproductive organs (I'll be 39 later this year), and I asked him to test exactly that. He was cooperative and added a few tests here and there in order to get an overall picture of my hormone levels, follicle count, uterine lining, fallopian tube health, etc.

I realize that not everyone has a great reproductive center nearby and then is lucky enough to just stumble upon a doctor they have report with, or has health insurance that covers diagnostic testing whenever requested, but by asking around and doing research you might be able to come a long way. I hope.

I'm planning my first IUI in October/November. This has opened a whole new world of dilemmas, thoughts and considerations, but I'm trying to take each day and each step in this process at a time.

DutchTulip
  • Options
    Hi. I just wanted to share my thoughts to...

I also read these posts often just for the support and information.

I just had my 4th IUI and am in the dreaded 2 weeks. This is my second round with IUI, I luckily had success after 3 tries almost 3 years ago with a donor. And trust me it is still confusing to me. I always have to come home and read all the info and posts to make things more clear. My doctor and his nurse are great but it can all be overwhelming.

I agree that you need to start asking for some of the tests. My fert. doctor suggested a series of blood work as well as tests to check for blocked tubes. He said it was better to have a clear picture before starting. Why find out after you've done it several times that there is a problem. Plus if you are using a donor it is a good idea to find out if you have any genetic factors that could pose a problem when selecting a donor. I'm CMV- and he suggested I pick a donor that is also just as a precation.

But remember I checked out clear, except that I'm almost 40 now, and I'm on my 4th try. The first 3 with clomid and the 4th with injections and ultrasounds. I know there was 1 mature follicle this time and have high hopes.

If you end up going with the fertility clinic I bet they will run all the tests before they decide on the best route for you. I wish everyone success. My son is the best thing ever and wish that kind of happiness to all of you.
  • Options
    Hi Jam1120,

I don't know what a 2WW will feel like, but I wish you good luck and strength during this time. Keep us posted.

DT
  • Options
    jam1120,
    did you use the same donor again? Btw, we now have a beautiful girl form donor 2467.
  • Options
    DT - sorry 2ww is my 2 week waiting time for my pregnancy test. It's amazing how long that time can be. Thanks for the support

Crashed - I did use the same donor again and it's also 2467. My son is almost 3 and is a healthy blonde haired blue eyed wonder. Congrats to you on your daughter. It must be a wondeful time for you. 2467 has retired and luckily I have a few vials in storage if needed.
  • Options
    jam1120,
    I hope you will see a BFP after those 2ww.

We also have a few vials stored for trying for a sibling next year. We are a mixed couple and our daughter has brown eyes and brown hair. She is off the chart for both height and weight for her age and pretty much advanced in almost anything. It is really funny to watch!
  • Options
    crashed
    My son has always been in th 90% so I totally understand. I've also been told by many how advanced he is and I love the compliment. I'm a single mom and would love the chance for another. Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    Jam1120 -

I just found out I am pregnant with 2467. Do you have any pics of your son that you'd be willing to share with me? My e-mail address is tarvinpeek@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Myria
  • Options
    Hi Kirsten504,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Completely understood around here!

Maybe you should try acupuncture? I recently tried it to help get my irregular cycle (from stress related to this whole process) back in order and it worked immediately, not to mention making me feel very relaxed and calm. I was finally able to go in for my first IUI yesterday after 3 months of not ovulating (and clomid didn't work for me). And apparently, acupuncture is also helpful for fertility purposes and I've heard a lot of success stories in that dept. Couldn't hurt...

--CSS
  • Options
    I got pregant on my 8th IUI. Make sure you have the ultrasound to detect exact time for ovulation. It was my 2nd try with clomid at the fertility clinic that I got pregnant. I wouldn't do IVF yet if I were you.