Options

How to read paperwork with shipment

What does the following mean regarding the vials?
Ct. per Mi. 55
% Motility 48
Total Motile 3.50

Comments

• Options
    Hi Missbryan -

Avg. Co. = Average Count per (how many million sperm there are per ml)
    Avg. Mo = Average motility (% of how many sperm are swimming) - Anything close to 50% is great.
    Total Motile or Progression = the rate at which the sperm swim (scale of 1-4 with 4 being the best)

Good luck!

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi Scott,

I just received my shipment today. The paperwork only has Ct. per Ml and % motility. I have read several women stating their Total Motile or Progression score as well. Mine does not have this ranking. Would there be a reason for not including that number with my paperwork??

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    Ours did not have that either .
  • Options
    Hi All -

Good question. Due to the general confussion it was causing, we recently removed the Progression score from the paperwork. It is nothing to worry about.

Regards,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    WE have just picked up our specimen and found that the motility was just 39%. Could this have anything to do with the fact that the specimen was frozen in 2004? If, as Scott says, anything close to 50% is great, does that mean our specimen is not great? What category would 39% fit into? Good? Fair? Average? Poor?
  • Options
    Hi Viceroy -

Nothing to worry about. Motility is relative to count, but most of our specimens range from about 35%-50%.

The duration of freeze has no impact on the motility.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Regards,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi there, just got mine in today and my motility is just 33%. That seems a bit low, compared to the other numbers. I'm doing an ICI. Any suggestions for more success with lower motility?
  • Options
    Hi Ang -

The posts above did not reference the vial type, but one thing to keep in mind is that ICI vials are not washed. When vials are washed, the seminal fluid is removed as well as a number of the non-motile sperm, so you have a more concentrated sample of motile sperm. Because of this, IUI vials will tend to be on the higher end of the motility range.

The ICI vials are closer to the natural ejaculate and the volume is greater than the IUI vials. The ICI vials will contain at least 15 million motile sperm and our lab looks for motility of at least 25%.

The motility of your vial is definitely within an acceptable range. A couple of important factors in achieving success is the timing of the insemination and also making sure that there aren't any blockages or cysts which would hinder ovulation. Working with your healthcare provider to monitor ovulation is helpful, especially when they do ultrasounds to pinpoint the best time to inseminate.

Best of luck,

Nicole
    CCB