Options

one ovary

Just found out today that I have a huge fibroid outside of my uterus blocking one of my fallopians. My RE said she doesn't see the need to operate as I still have one open side and it is virtually like having one ovary which many women do fine with. Is anyone else working with just one ovary? I'm concerned my chances are going to be crappy.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Gracas,

How huge is the fibroid? Many women have them. I have one as well that has stayed between 1-2cm over the years. If your RE isn't operating, perhaps she doesn't think it's necessary. For some people fibroids do shrink on their own. I read that a good diet and regular exercise really helps.

As for the one fallopian tube... I don't think you need to worry because as long as the ovary on the same side of the open fallopian has follicles, you are good. On cycles where you only have follicles on the side of the blocked one... you would have to skip the cycle. You will know when your RE does the ultrasound.

My mom had one of her ovaries removed before she had me. She thought there was a low possibility that she would conceive with just one, but she did, a few months post her surgery.

Since both your ovaries are still functioning and you are sure that you have one open fallopian tube, you don't have to worry.
  • Options
    My wife only has one ovary due to PCOS, the other ovary and fallopian tube was completely removed. So i'm not sure about having a blocked ovary, but our GYN dr and RE have said that when one ovary is removed your other ovary picks up the slack as if there are two...it just knows the other isn't there so it ovulates or produces follicles every month.

Our RE doesn't think we will have a problem, our one fallopian tube is good. We are producing mature follicles with clomid and we are ovulating with the trigger shot. We have done 2 failed IUI's but just feel like it's the sperm and egg needing better timing.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I have a friend who had one ovary and one tube removed when she was 14. She is now 26 with 2 children.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks people. Makes me feel better now. I'm doing my first IUI next week...freaking out..don't want to be disappointed so trying not to get my hopes up. My Dr. said if they operated she wouldn't be able to do non-invasive surgery due to it's size. I saw a pic...don't know the cm but it's about the size of my uterus almost..not good. Anyhow, she wants to try anyhow and started me on 150 mg of clomid which seems like a nice healthy dose to be on. She said if the IUI doesn't work the first 3 times we move on to IVF which I'm not thrilled by. I wish you all luck and me too. Thanks for responding and making me feel better.. I keep praying to St. Gerard to help a sister out here.
  • Options
    Gracas - have you been on clomid before? I've always heard you should be on the minimum amount that works. 150mg is a very high dose, infact being on any more is rare.

I suppose I would have rather our RE started us on a higher dose because we have PCOS and our follicles kept shrinking...we wasted 2 cycles worth of money all out of our pocket creeping up the clomid dosing ladder.

When do you go in for your D12 or whichever day US?
  • Options
    Hey Tommie,

No, I've never been on clomid and my US is this Tuesday. I'm 40 with the blocked fallopian so my RE said she wanted to be aggressive. I was shocked at the 150 too but in a way glad. I just want to give it my best shot and keep moving. I figure 3 tries with IUI and I'll ask for the IVF, though I can only do 3 rounds of IVF with my insurance. I'm also single so I am relying on only my income though everything but the sperm is covered by insurance. It still ends up being about $1300 a pop each month and I'm scared that I'll eventually run out of funds to purchase the stuff so I'm glad she's being aggressive. Have you heard of any reasons why they say start with the lowest? To be honest with you, I hate having it in my system as it seems to make me more sensitive and yesterday I had a crying fit that wouldn't stop. I'm not sure if it's the meds or feeling overwhelmed but either way..not pleasant. How many tries did you do with the Clomid low dose?