Options

Be Aware of Mis-Diagnosis

Hi. For those of you that read through my last thread, you know I learned I was pregnant, then at 5 weeks 6 days and also at 6 weeks 7 days there was no sign of anything but a gestational sac, AND my hcg level went from 17000 to 19000 in two days----poor increase.

Well, my doctor sent me to a medical facility with new ultrasound machines this afternoon, to confirm no embryo so that we could do D & C Friday.

The ultrsound tech found a heartbeat! The baby & sac measure 6.5 weeks, and I am about 7.5 weeks. I went straight to my doctor and got an hcg test. I will go back Friday for another hcg test, and an ultrsound by my doctor.

Anyhow, ladies, be careful. The ultrasound tech COULD NOT find any baby with the transabdominal ultrasound! But she did find it with the vaginal. Don't rush in to anything!

I realize that things still may not go well because of the size and hcg. But, at least I know there is hope.

I do not blame my doctor at all. My sister in law works in ultrasound/radiology, and she agreed that they are always able to see something by 6 weeks. So, I don't know what the problem was that prevented the baby from being seen by even a very strong transabdominal new machine today at 7.5 weeks, and why it is smaller than it should be. All I know is that I am SO grateful to God for the blessing of a live baby at this given moment, and for not doing a D & C.

Mary

Comments

• Options
    Mary, After getting the devasting news in the beginning this has to be the best news of your life! Thank God that you didn't do the D&C!

I don't think that one week is that big of a deal...I'm praying that your baby catches up quickly!

I'm so excited for you! Please KUP!
  • Options
    Praise God you got another ultrasound before you continued!! Little one... catch up where you need to be... your Mom's waiting on you!!

I start tomorrow...
  • Options
    Oh my gosh....thank goodness that you and baby and just fine. Another Congratulations! May God continue to be with both of you!
  • Options
    mimibeth:

How are you doing, girl? I can't believe how close a call you got... I'm hoping to IUI this week since I just got my LH surge a few hours ago.
  • Options
    God bless you Mary that your baby is still in there. I was getting ready to post you my congratulations on the positive pregnancy test then read through and saw that there was SUPPOSEDLY just a sac. Thank God you didn't just go through with the D&C without another ultrasound. I had followed all of the 11227 threads carefully for awhile since that was originally my donor choice so I feel like I got to know all of you ladies pretty well. I truly wish you all the best and for a sucessful pregnancy with no more close calls. God Bless Nicole
  • Options
    My doctor saw the heartbeat Friday. I could tell he didn't think he would. He said he is pessimistic, and scheduled me for another ultrasound tomorrow, Wednesday. He said he has never seen a baby that is supposed to be 7 weeks and 6 days be the size of 6 weeks 3 days and make it beyond first trimester. But, I remind myself, he hasn't ever sent anyone to ultrasound for a D & C and the ultrasound tech find a baby that was not there just a few days previous.

I am actually staying either queasy or nauseous, so I am hopeful. I may go in tomorrow and have bad news, but I may go in tomorrow and have a baby closer to 8.5 weeks than 7.5 weeks. I pray for the baby, that there is substantial growth and health and a full term delivery. Who knows, maybe God will choose to use this situation as an example to the doctor and his 6 nurses who waited outside the ultrasound room as the doctor did my ultrasound Friday, only to find out that their doctor was wrong, but that there is a Higher Power who makes the final call. I respect and appreciate my doctor, but at times, I think God would have us to see that He is ultimately in control.

I will keep you all updated, and thank you all for your encouragement and prayers.

Mary
  • Options
    Mary- My thoughts and prayers are with you. Wow -we will all be praying and waiting to hear from you...

Lori
  • Options
    He is... all things work out for good under His power... praying for you and your little one.
  • Options
    My prayers are with you.
  • Options
    And you have enough stress as it is... lemme see... a pessimistic doc who doesn't believe your child is going to make it and almost taking his advice and sacrificing your little one.

Hate to holler, but YOU NEED ANOTHER DOCTOR!! He should be praising God you DIDN'T take his advice!
  • Options
    I had another ultrasound this evening (Wednesday). There is a good heartbeat, and the baby grew. It only grew 3 or 4 days since the last ultrasound 5 days ago.

I have done an enormous amount of research on when to diagnose miscarriage. Believe it or not, my doctor followed protocol. Nothing at all was in the gestational sac, either vaginally or abdominally, at 6wks 6 days. He then scheduled a D & C for 7 wks & 6 days. That is actually protocol according to all I read.

The baby has been growing more slowly from the beginning, and maybe hiding. ??? I am not sure.

My doctor is still, of course, not optimistic because of it's very slow growth. He is concerned about chromosome abnormalities, and is still afraid I will miscarry within the next couple weeks.

He is sending me back to the ultrasound tech who found the baby and heartbeat on Friday. She will take a good look and compare her ultrasound with the one she did last week.

I must say I am absolutely drained emotionally. We were mandated to work the past two weekends. I put in 120 hours in 13 days. My job doesn't require any physical labor (mental health therapist and lots of paperwork), but I am just drained from working and from waiting and waiting on what may or may not happen with this little baby.

Again, I will post again when I have more news. And again, ANY prayers are appreciated.

Mary
  • Options
    You don't need to tell me to pray... doing that one. Your little one is hiding from your doc... doesn't like him, perhaps? God made the little pop up for a reason... he will take care of you and the baby.
  • Options
    mimibeth...I think we're making progress here. :) Things are sounding promising. I am sorry that you are going through this and I'm more sorry that you are working all of those hours! That's crazy!

I had my Mom add you and your little baby to her church's prayer list. I believe that God can work miracles beyond what the doctors see or do. I had a level II U/S done a few weeks ago and that doctor told me that my baby may have Trisomy 18. I was devasted! I prayed to God and asked him to protect my baby and to let me know that everything was okay. A long and miserable 6 days later, we got the lab work back that said that my babies chance of T18 was 1:37,000! Now that's a miracle from God. After those results, my doctor isn't worried. :)

KUP!
  • Options
    Misty and Carla

I am so grateful your baby's chances diminished. I belive in the power of prayer.

To All Of You:

However, for whatever reason, God didn't see fit to allow my baby to remain with me. I went in for the ultrasound this morning with the high tech machine and I could immediately see the difference from last week. Not only was the heartbeat gone that I saw Wednesday, but the form of the embryo had already started to 'dissipate', and the fluids in my uterus was moving around a lot, and the ultrasound tech said that my uterus would push it all out within a week or so if I didn't have the D & C.

My doctor was kind enough to come over from the hospital after he finished surgeries there and do my D & C in the less populated building I was in, instead of making me go there. When I have to hospitalize people who are suicidal or homicidal I work closely with several at the hospital, and I was relieved to not have to share my news with all of them.

I was 9 weeks. I am still grateful that the Ultrasound tech found the heartbeat, and I had a chance to see it and see the minor and slow growth from last week to this Wednesday. It is so strange because I had no pain, in fact, my nausea increased the past two weeks.

Well, I still believe God for a healthy child, and am not discouraged (sad, yes!). I so appreciate the encouragement from those of you on this site. I will be trying again hopefully in June. Best wishes to all of you as you continue on in this journey of faith. What a blessing it will be for us when we get our hands on our loving little babies!!

Mary
  • Options
    Mimibeth,
    I'm so sorry to learn of your loss. There are no words that any of us can say to ease your pain. I am glad that you did get to see the miracle of that beautiful heartbeat, because you now know you can conceive. I hope that in the very near future you are able to wrap your hands around your big belly and feel the wonderful sensation of a kick. And soon after that I hope you will hold a darling baby i your arms.

Wishing you lots of baby dust!
  • Options
    mimibeth:
    :(. I'm so sorry... I can't even type much... I was hoping so much...
  • Options
    Mimibeth,
    What a painful experience. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your faith is very inspiring. Stay strong!
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss Mary. I can't imagine, ualtigger and alvin are right, there are no words. Please know that you are in my thoughts. Your faith and determination is truly inspiring to all of us on here. We are all pulling for you for a healthy full term baby. God Bless and take care of yourself. Sincerely, Nicole
  • Options
    mimibeth,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I was praying for a miracle. Just know that your friends here at CCB are here for you. If you ever need to talk, just let us know.

Here's you a virtual hug...[[[[HUG]]]]
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost my pregnancy of quads (also donor 11227) in March at 13 weeks, and it was devestating. However, we tried again with the same donor in June and are now newly pregnant with one baby. The 3 of mine they could get to for genetic testing were healthy, but sadly they didn't make it. After such a loss I was scared to try again, but we did, & when I saw the little heart beat last week at 6wks 4 days, I was so glad we didn't give up. It is such a personal choice, and the fear level spikes after a loss, so it seems hard to believe at times that there's hope...BUT THERE ALWAYS IS HOPE. God bless you, and when you are ready to try again, I wish you great success.
  • Options
    kg0705mg...hello and welcome to the boards.

I just read your post and it is heartbreaking. I am so sorry that you had to go through this and I can't imagine the loss that you must feel. I do see that you're now pregnant, so congratulations on being blessed with another little miracle! That's wonderful news!

Good luck and KUP.