Options

Negative CMV

Hey Scott,

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a search criteria to find donors who are CMV negative? I think this would greatly help some of your clients (myself included) in the search process.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hi April -

We used to have it as a search criteria but found it misleading for clients because it placed an undue emphasis on a relatively meaningless criteria.

Positive CMV does not mean the donor has an active infection. It mearly means he was exposed to the virus at some point and has developed antibodies in his system. The same way anyone exposed to chicken pox will test positive for the chicken pox antibody.

CMV is a rather random issue that is basically discussed today because a number of years ago one well known doctor decided to make it an issue within the ASRM (American Society of Reproductive Medicine). The ASRM guidelines dictate most of the practices within reproductive medicine.

There has never been a recorded case of CMV transmition from one of our donors to a recipient or child. I certainly encourage you to consult your physician on the matter, but we would not be offering CMV positive donors if we believed there was a health risk to you or your future child.

It is estimated that more than half the adult population of the US is CMV positive -- with the vast majority of us never even knowing.

All that said, you can list your search results by CMV status by clicking on "customize this view" near the top of the results page.

I hope this sheads some light on it for you.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks, Scott. I appreciate the info. It's just that no matter how small the chance, it's there. We understand that everything will probably turn out ok with a positive donor, we just are not willing to take that chance with everything we've invested emotionally and monetarily. IF something were to happen and we found out we could have avoided it, that would be very hard to take.

Thanks for the advice with customizing my view. :)

April
  • Options
    Hi April -

I totally understand your point. I just wanted to make sure you (and everyone else reading) got the skinny on CMV.

I'm sure your physician discussed Rh factor with you, but just in case, if you are Rh- and you select an Rh+ donor you will need to get a few rogram shots over the course of your pregnancy. Not a big deal, but something to ask about if your physician hasn't mentioned it.

I actually think Rh factor is far more significant than CMV and many women are not aware (especially if they are selecting a donor prior to seeing a physician).

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB