Options

Anyone use donor 11481? We had our search narrowed down but just found out I am cmv negative and had to search only cmv negative donors. He's our favorite right now and I'm wondering if anyone has had any success?

Comments

• Options
    Hi! This donor has been on my short list from the start. Not sure why, but he keeps popping up! I haven't purchased any info on him yet as I'm pursuing donor 11255 to see if I 'like' him.

Are you doing this process as part of a couple? I'm going to be a single mom by choice, if it's all meant to be.

DutchTulip
  • Options
    Hi DutchTulip!

My husband and I made the decision to use 11481. We have severe male factor infertility and he has been through a bilateral varicocelectomy followed by a failed ivf w/icsi. We finally decided our best shot was just to use a donor. We're both Caucasian but we really liked 11481 essay and short profile and we saw his baby picture in the donor of the month profiles in August. His family health history is really clean and in his audio interview he's really well spoken. We ultimately decided to go with a donor with similar interests to my husband over his appearance. Keep me posted on how you're doing!
  • Options
    Hi! Thanks for your reply. I'm really encouraged by your reasoning behind choosing 11481. When are you trying?

I'm Caucasian myself, but as I've never dated a Caucasian guy in my life I'm not inclined to pick a Caucasian donor per se. It's opening a whole new can of worms and I'm trying to work through that right now. I like 11481 and I also like 11255, with 11255 being a mix of AA/AA & Caucasian. I'm just wondering if I'm setting up a child for a more difficult time by having ancestry that's not mine, the only parent known to him/her. After all, it's not about me but about the child who'll grow into a teenager and adult dealing with identity, etc.

I'm planning on being open from the start about how the child has come into this world, and part of that is being able to honestly tell him/her that I liked their donor dad from what I knew about him, i.e. his interests, his outlook on life and the answer he gave to the question in the essay of why he participates in the CCB program. For me, ethnicity has never been an issue for me with anyone around me, whether friends or men I've dated, but I'm very aware that this is not just me I'm deciding this for.

It's a difficult road! Good luck to you and your husband. Who knows we might have half siblings at some point.

If you'd want to share his facial report and audio interview with me that would be great. My email is dutchtulip70@gmail.com.

Do you know if his lactose intolerance could be hereditary? That's my only reservation right now.

DT
  • Options
    I'll send you his info.

I'm not sure about lactose intolerance being hereditary. It runs in my family, but I've never had a serious problem though my mother and brother have. My brother is miraculously better now that he's in his 40s...11481 doesn't have a lactose problem. (At least I didn't think he did...now you've got me worried!)

I agree with you - it's hard to make the choice. We also decided to be open from the get go. Our close friends and families are all aware of the struggle we've had so it wouldn't be a shock to them that we've decided to use a donor. I've had a couple of stories from friends lately about finding their birth parents and it's never about their appearance or heritage, but always about their interests that they didn't share with either parent that makes them wonder. That's why we opted to look for a donor with interests that are more in line with ours. Plus, my husband also says he'd be happy not to pass on his physical traits... :)
  • Options
    Hi there - i don't know the exact figures - I'm sure you can check various sources, but a very high percentage of people who are of hispanic and african american descent are lactose intolerant.

Do some research on dairy before you decide this is a good or a bad thing. There's a lot of data to suggest dairy is not necessarily that good for you. The China Study is an excellent book on that topic as well as on nutrition and diet in general. John Robbins - diet for a new america, Skinny Bitch, are a few others.....

anyway "food" for thought. hope this helps!
  • Options
    Apologies for saying he's lactose intolerant...he's not. I must have gotten confused with someone else.

DT
  • Options
    Would you be willing to share information about this donor?

My email is msdizzydolores@yahoo.com

Thank you for any help you can offer.
  • Options
    I would also like to get more information on this donor if you can, please. thaismr@msn.com

Thank you.
  • Options
    Hi..

I would also like more info if you are willing to share...email me onamishon@yahoo.com.au

Thank you