Options

Donor information

I have always wondered if CCB requires donors to submit their transcripts, copies of their degrees etc to verify the information they give. This is something that is important to my husband and I and we look for donors who have done well in school because we are try to rule out potential issues like ADHD, Dyslexia, and so forth (I work in a school so I know how difficult these issues can be for kids). Someone who has done well in school often signifies calmness and the ability to focus. However, I just got done listening to a donor conversation and started to wonder how accurate the information they give is. So I guess my question is how do you verify this information? Are you just taking the donor's word for it or do you require paperwork for verification? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hi JJR -

We verify the donor's enrollment in a 4-year university, which can be done through requests for transcripts and/or copies of degrees.

The donors spend 4-5 months going through the qualification process, and at any time if our donor coordinators, genetic counselors, physicians, etc. believe that the donor is not providing accurate information or find discrepancies, they can request additonal information and/or disqualify him. Please keep in mind that less than 1% of applicants actually make it through the qualification process.

If your concern is the risk of the donor's offspring having ADHD, dyslexia, or a learning disorder, I would highly recommend speaking to one of our genetics counselors at 877-743-6384. They will be able to provide you with helpful information.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    As a follow up to the above question, and to be clear, does this mean that when a donor states he got, for example, a 1500 on his SAT and received a 4.0 GPA in college, you don't do anything to independently verify that information? If prospective donors want to donate, whatever their reason, and if the process is as competitive as you write, it seems to me that there's a strong incentive to exaggerate ones accomplishments. Could you more specifically indicate what, if anything, your lab does to verify the information that donors give you about academic achievements and medical history. I'd be curious to known some more specifics, please.
  • Options
    Terrific questions, Chebat. I've often wondered this myself and assumed that CCB automatically asks for transcripts, not just enrollment or diplomas from a university!!

I will say, though, that I ruled out lots of donors who I thought sounded rather "dim" in their audiotapes. It makes sense that they may have exaggerated their academic accomplishments (GPAs and grades).

I do think that if you listen to enough audiotapes, you're bound to find many bright and engaging guys. In general, I think the selection is great. You just have to be discerning -- perhaps even more discerning than I'd realized...
  • Options
    Yes, I agree that the audio interviews provide a lot of insight. But I am still curious to know the answer to my question. Are any administrators able to answer, please?
  • Options
    Hi All -

Our donors self-report their social information and family medical history. The donor does provide proof of his education (since our donors must be currently attending a 4-year university in pursuit of their bachelor degree, or already have achieved their undergraduate degree) so we are able to confirm the university attended.

During the qualification process, the donor is interviewed by a number of staff in a variety of ways. We ask for the same information multiple times, in different ways, over the course of time so we are able to see if the donor is able to provide consistent, accurate information. For example, do his responses to our physician’s inquiries during his physical exam match the information that he provided to our donor coordinators 4 months ago? This, along with our interactions with the donor, help us to determine if we feel the donor is being truthful and honest.

Based on the schools our donors attend, we can determine if their reported test scores/GPA align with the requirements for their school. Many of our donors attend top universities, as some of these schools are located within close proximity to our labs. If we felt a donor was exaggerating information (such as his SAT scores), we would ask for proof. But if a donor is attending Harvard, and indicates that he scored 2200/2400 on the SATs, that is a reasonable score for that school.

While it is difficult to become a CCB donor, a donor who reports a 4.0 GPA would not have an advantage over a donor who reports a 3.0 GPA. If we do not feel that a donor is being honest, he would be disqualified from the program.

Many clients find that the Donor Conversations are helpful in making their final choice, but please keep in mind that not all individuals are as comfortable with this medium as others. This may be the donor’s very first recorded interview, and some of them may be nervous answering questions on the spot. Just because a donor may not be as articulate as another, it doesn’t mean that he didn’t achieve an 800 Math SAT score. Of course, if you are looking for an articulate donor, the Donor Conversations are an excellent way to narrow down your selection.

If you have any additional questions regarding our donor qualification process, please don’t hesitate to contact our Donor or Genetics Department at 877-743-6384.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    I have read your explanation and I find it apalling that you do not get transcripts with grades and sat scores. Women are spending thousands of dollars and this is a simple thing for the donor to procure. They are being well compensated and every job I have gone for wants my transcript. As I am sure your staff tries their best they are not psychics and young men do exaggerate. Please consider doing better due dilligence. It would also be helpful if you said if a donor was an Ivy League grad. That would put some lower grades in better perspective. Thank you.
  • Options
    That information is helpful, but it would be equally helpful if the people who answer the phones at your lab give accurate information. When I did not get an answer to this question a few days, I decided to call. The woman with whom I spoke informed me, apparently incorrectly, that you independently verify SAT scores and GPA. I called yesterday at 12:45 PM. Perhaps you could make sure whomever was on the phones at that time gives accurate information in the future.
  • Options
    Wow...I am stunned by this. I am a mental health therapist and I promise you it is completely possible to lie and be consistent across those lies. I agree with the above post, it is a simple process to REQUIRE them to submit copies of their transcripts from high school and college as well as standardized test scores. This actually makes me furious. You should at least write things on your site such as "donor reports he earned a gap of 4.0 but this is not independently verified". This is so misleading. Completely simple protocol to enact and is expected! I have no words right now...
  • Options
    I made my choice based on personality and smarts -- much of it based on the essay. I'd assumed these essays were not edited but now I'm starting to think they may be...

Question: Are the essays edited for grammar, punctuation, word choice, etc?

This is a YES or NO question. Tx.
  • Options
    Hi Paris -

No. The only edits are when a donor inadvertently reveals possible identifying information. We do ask donors to revise essays that are too short or do not answer the question well enough.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks, Nicole. And glad to hear it!