Options

Cord Blood for Baby #2

Hello,
I saved the cord blood of my first child through the California Cryobank. I am now pregnant with my second child by the same donor as my first child. Will it be necessary to save the cord blood of my second child?
Thank you,
Tina

Comments

• Options
    Children inherit 1/2 of their DNA from Mom and 1/2 from Dad, and there is no way to predict if two children will inherit the same 1/2 from Mom and the same 1/2 from Dad (making them a perfect match) so, if you can, you should save cord blood for each child. Check out the link below and good luck to you.

http://parentsguidecordblood.org/content/usa/medical/medmotiv.shtml?navid=32#nextchild
  • Options
    why is it necessary to save the cord blood of a baby? could ou tell us some benefits?
  • Options
    From familycord.com:

Cord blood stem cells are considered one of the most promising medical therapies. Parents are deciding to take advantage of private cord blood storage not only as a treatment option for current uses, but also for their potential future uses. Stem cells are the "building blocks of life" that regenerate and form all other tissues, organs, and systems in the body. Ongoing stem cell research is increasing scientific understanding about how healthy cells develop and replace damaged cells.

Stem cells hold the potential for treating some of the most common diseases in the future. Initially, cord blood stem cells were primarily used to treat blood cancers, but research scientists are now exploring treatments for a wide variety of diseases including cerebral palsy, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and spinal cord injury. The number of diseases treated with stem cells is rapidly increasing, and there have been over 15,000 cord blood transplants to date.

Umbilical cord blood offers a perfectly natural, controversy-free method of acquiring stem cells. Until recently, the umbilical cord and its stem cells were discarded as medical waste. Today, doctors worldwide recognize that cord blood stem cells can aid in the treatment of numerous diseases by helping to generate healthy new cells and tissue. Cord blood stem cells are not only valuable now, but they are also considered one of the most promising medical treatments of the future.

American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation estimates the probability at 1 in 217 that your child will have a medical condition that may be treated with stem cells during their lifetime (14:316-322, 2008). American Academy of Pediatrics encourages private cord blood banking when there is a predisposition for a genetic condition that could benefit from cord blood transplantation. Additionally, the California Cryobank recommends private cord blood storage for clients that are using a sperm or egg donor.

The value of stem cells found in cord blood is clear; storing cord blood ensures that should a need ever arise, you will have a source of stem cells that is an exact genetic match to your baby. There is also the strong possibility that the stem cells will be a match for a sibling. Clinical studies demonstrate that stem cell transplants are more successful when the stem cells come from a family member rather than a non-related donor. Storage of your baby's cord blood at FamilyCord ensures that cord blood stem cells are available when you and your family need them most.