Options

4th IUI - chemical pregnancy :/

Feeling a bit dazed today. We did our fourth IUI a few weeks ago, and while on vacation last week we got a positive pregnancy test. But since we were on vacation we couldn't do the beta tests til Saturday (two days ago) and today. So while on vacation it was a nice state of suspended animation. All we knew was that the pregnancy tests read positive. Made for a pretty wonderful vacation.

We actually had low expectations going into this try. The clomid wasn't as effective as it had been in previous tries (my wife only had one mature -- perhaps too mature? it was big -- follicle and a few smaller ones that we weren't sure were going to mature.

But even with the positive HPTs on vacay we knew blood tests still had to happen. On Saturday her HCG was 51 and today it was 14. With the Saturday number not seeming too high we were both trying to prepare for bad news but at the same time were trying to be hopeful.

Needless to say we both left work early when we got the news because we wouldn't have been able to concentrate (and, let's be honest, possibly cry at our desks). I'm/we're feeling a bit better now, but it's still hard. It's one thing to *know* miscarriages are common, it's another thing to have it happen. (Or at least, at this point, to know it's going to.)

24 hours ago I couldn't have told you what a "chemical pregnancy" was; now we've just been trying to educate ourselves. FWIW, I found these helpful:

http://miscarriage.about.com/od/onetimemiscarriages/p/chemicalpreg.htm

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/chemical-pregnancy.html

Not giving up, of course. But this is tough.

<3

Comments

• Options
    Sorry for your loss, and thank you for the information. The same thing happened to us in May, I had never heard of a chemical pregnancy either so these links are really informative.
    The way I look at it is that at least we can conceive and we will again, the loss is horrible and depressing but give your body time to heal and get back to normal and try when you are ready. We had our first iui this month since the loss in May and I'm in the TWW. FX for you in the future.
  • Options
    Hi prbs,

Thanks for writing. Yeah we are doing our best to stay positive, but are still accepting the emotional pain. We don't feel defeated, but this still sucks.

I wish you the best in this TWW! FX!
  • Options

Sorry to hear this. This happened to me as well. Did you end up having a successful outcome the next round?